A question for former Bethelites

by JeffT 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I would PM barbara anderson if I were you.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    My most burning questions when I left got answered at the Seattle Public Library
    JeffT

Hi Jeff,

What was those burnining questions? Did the the Seattle Public Library have all those apostate stuffs to help you out? In BTN, good luck withyour novel project. Do not forget to PM Barbara Anderson. She is a 'walking Bethel Watchtower Library'. I mean she knows a lot of inside stuff that have helped us alot to open our minds.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Seattle Public Library: where I first got my hands on CofC, some where around here I recently posted a list of books I read at the time, but the ones that stick were "Jehovah of the Watchtower" "The Four Major Cults" "Apocolypse Delayed" and "Apostles of Denial"

The most basic questions revolved around "where did the WTBS come from?" and "what is the basis of its teachings/prophecy?"

The answers led straight out the door.

Yes, I'm going to PM Barbara when I have a minute. I have not been able to sell this thing to a big publisher, so whatever happens I'm going to have to do a lot of marketing myself. I'll take help where ever I can get it.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Hairdresser.

~Sue

• Etude
    Etude

BurnTheShips: It shouldn’t surprise you that intelligent people (yes women) would relegate themselves to menial work. Intelligent guys who felt they could do more also relegated themselves to cleaning and sweeping at the factories, taking the chicken shit out of the hen houses at the farm and just doing plain old crappy work. If you look at the efficiency with which Bethel is run, it takes a lot of peons (even bright ones) to make it all happen. Women are no different. Some worked in sensitive and creative positions. Believe me, if a woman was an artist, she would not be housekeeping making up bed sheets with wet dreams but would be in the Art department creating soothing pastoral scenes for the Watchtower. In a way, Bethel was run in my day like any other secular organization.

I suppose that if you look at the work that takes place behind the scenes there as secularly as running a hotel, one would be surprised if people didn’t struggle to get better jobs. While that’s practically what it was, it was wrapped up in a spiritual blanket in order to make it easier to give yourself up as a sacrifice. Still, you had bosses, supervisors and workers. What you did depended on how you showed your talent; whether you had “worldly” credentials (a degree in something went a long way); and yes, whether somebody liked you. Fairness and spirituality, although strongly touted, didn’t always help to get your foot in the door get a better job. And as in any other job, some “sisters” didn’t like or get along with each other. Yet others got choice jobs due to reputation or connections. Some were very unhappy because they wanted more for their lives than just being there because their husbands had “important” work to do. Some had affairs right in Bethel. This is not any different from the rest of the world or even a TV show.

Etude.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

They basically pick out the jobs they want.

• rawdata
    rawdata

I was there in the mid 90's. All the ones that I knew of back then were secretaries of various dept. heads.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It would be unfair to characterise all the wives of long-time Bethelites based on cases I witnessed when I was there. Nontheless, I knew of the wives of two very highly placed men who had drinking problems serious enough to require intervention, and at least two cases of 40-something married women hitting on young Bethelites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit