Who is Leon Weaver?

by St George of England 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Mike Weaver was slated to fight ali but never did.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

Oh that's right. This thread isn't about Sylvia.

• undercover
    undercover

This is the only Leon I know:

• St George of England
    St George of England

St George, if you can, please post a pic of Leon Weaver here. I do not know what he looks like, but others told me about him

Thanks for the information. Sorry I cannot post a picture as I do not have a working scanner. If anyone can help Silentone it is in the 2003 Yearbook P22.

George

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Wasn't he Ralph Weaver's brother?

Outaservice

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Oh that's right. This thread isn't about Sylvia.

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (Incorporated 2000)

President William L. Van De Wall

Vice Presidents Charles I. Woody, Leon Weaver, Jr.

Secretary/Treasurer William H. Nonkes

Directors Harold K. Jackson, Merton V. Campbell, Stanley F. Weigel

http://www.freeminds.org/organization/governing-body/governing-body-of-jehovah-s-witnesses-grows-old.html

Another cute experience happened when they were walking on the sidewalk outside of the apartments. A little fellow about six passed by them and when he looked at Michael he took a double take, kept walking and then backed up and looked again. Then he walked on shaking his head and muttering, "No, it can't be him."

One day, a few weeks later, I was walking to work with Leon Weaver, who is an African American. Leon worked in the Service Department and was part of the Service Committee. Before he came to Bethel many years before, I was told that Leon was in the circuit work.

Inasmuch as Leon was pleasant to talk to, I thought he might enjoy my tale of how I almost worked in service with Michael Jackson, and about the cute little experiences Michael had had in service. So I told Leon how Joe refused to go even though I thought we might be in a good position, Joe being a Bethel elder, to discuss with Michael how his actions on stage had such negative ramifications in the congregations. However, Leon told me that he was very surprised about Joe's attitude. He said he and Ruby would have liked to have spent time with Michael Jackson and would have certainly done so if Tim had asked him.

I took it for granted that Leon was interested in the opportunity to talk with Michael about the same troublesome things that I wanted to discuss-especially because he worked in the Service Department where it's part of his job to see to it that the elders enforce organizational rules for so-called Christian behavior. I mentioned to Leon that famous "white glove" of Michael's. Wow, was I ever thunderstruck when Leon pointedly told me that he would have liked to shake the hand that wore the white glove if he had had the opportunity. Further, he said something to the effect that he wouldn't have counseled the young man, but would have enjoyed being in the company of such a celebrity. I was surprised, to put it mildly, and said nothing more even though I felt as if I was being counseled for my nit-picking attitude.

That evening, I told Joe about the conversation I had with Leon. He was not in harmony with Leon's viewpoint, but we kept that to ourselves. It was at times like this that it would sometimes cross our minds that maybe we, along with many other JW families, took the organizational instructions too seriously. However, despite Leon's different perspective from ours concerning Michael Jackson, one which we then disagreed with, we continued to try to do what we thought God would expect of faithful Jehovah's Witnesses and advance what we thought was "pure worship without defilement of any kind."

Contributed by Barbara Anderson

http://www.freeminds.org/organization/brooklyn-bethel/service-with-michael-jackson.html

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Blondie to the rescue again!

Good information. Weaver sounds like a do as we say, don't do as we do, sort of guy. No surprise there.

• blondie
    blondie

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.aspx?pid=2F55476F734A615A35333269695166524A462F4869673D3D&adid=LVL4423756

Picture of Leon Weaver

http://www.watchtowernews.org/longbeachnotes.htm

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2503&dat=19731217&id=alw0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=MY0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5258,811720

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=950&dat=19830307&id=rAEMAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FlkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3794,1748468

http://www.exjw.org.uk/rfranz.html

Later on 1 September 1980 a letter to all Circuit and District overseers was sent out by the Governing Body stressing the new teaching that anyone who disagrees in thought with any of the Watch Tower Society's (aka Jehovah God's) teachings is committing apostasy and is liable for disfellowshipping, even if he or she does not actually teach or spread contrary beliefs. The written official policy stated, under the heading "Protecting the Flock":

This idea was not quoted nor a direct reference given, as was always a custom of Jehovah's Witnesses letters to Overseers.

Keep in mind that to be disfellowshipped, an apostate does not have to be a promoter of apostate views. As mentioned in paragraph two, page 17 of the August 1, 1980, Watchtower, "The word 'apostasy' comes from a Greek term that means "a standing away from,' 'a falling away, defection,' 'rebellion, abandonement.' Therefore, if a baptized Christian abandons the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave [the 144,000, as represented by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses][20], and persists in believing other doctrines despite Scriptural reproof, then he is apostatizing. Extended, kindly efforts should be put forth to readjust his thinking. However, if, after such extended efforts have been put forth to readjust his thinking, he continues to believe the apostate ideas and rejects what he has been provided through the 'slave class' then appropriate judicial action should be taken. [21].

Franz's commentary on this apostasy policy:

The letter presents an official policy. It actually says that a person's believing—not promoting, but simply believing—something that differs from the teachings of the organization is grounds for taking judicial action against him as an "apostate"!

The letter makes no qualifying statements limiting such differences of belief to fundamental teachings of God's Word, such as the coming of God's Son as a man, the ransom, faith in Christ's shed blood as the basis for salvation, the resurrection, or similar basic Bible doctrines. It does not even say that the person necessarily disagrees with the Bible, the Word of God. Rather, he disagrees with "the teachings of Jehovah, as presented by the faithful and discreet slave." Which is something like saying that a man's accepting and obeying a King's written message is no guarantee that he is loyal; it is his accepting and obeying what a slave messenger claims the ruler meant that decides this!

The symbol at the top of the September 1, 1980 letter ("SCG") identifies the composer of it as Leon Weaver. But it should not be thought that this "thought-control" policy was the thinking of one individual, nor was it some momentary off-the-cuff expression of extremism which a person might make and afterward feel ashamed of as a rash, harsh and utterly unchristian position to take. The composer was a member of the Service Department Committee whose members, such as Harley Miller, David Olson, Joel Adams, Charles Woody and Leon Weaver, were all longtime representatives of the organization, with decades of experience behind them. They were agents of the Governing Body in supervising the activity of about 10,000 congregations and the activity of all the elders, Circuit and District Overseers in the United States, where nearly one million Jehovah's Witnesses live. They were in regular contact with the Service Committee of the Governing Body and were supposed to be thoroughly familiar with the Governing Body policies, attuned to its thinking and viewpoint and spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit