What---if anything---can we learn from AYN RAND'S philosophy?

by Terry 93 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    To me, Atlas Shrugged was her best work of fiction with philosophical underpinnings, but her a "Chair is a Chair" philosophy is narrow and shows what a stubborn and narrow egotist she was at heart.

Don't be to hard on her, any philosopher that things their view important enough to write about is an egotist.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    PSacramento: Scientific truth 200 years ago was that man couldn't fly.

You seem to confuse your personal perspective with reality. Personal belief is not reality unless what is believed in exists in reality. I am not just talking about religion here but any concept that exists only in the mind and has no external existence.

Man still cannot fly. He has invented machines that can. Remove the machines and he stays on the ground. Without the right equipment, a delude man who thinks he can fly, will still fall to his death.

Truth never changes but reality does. Reality is what is real at the time. Animals that could not fly before, have evolved wings and can now. Truth has not change but reality has.

A bird with a broken wing cannot fly. Once it heals it can. Truth has not change but reality has because truth takes place in the present only.

Yesterdays truth is not today's truth but to be truth it has to be true at the time it is called truth.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You seem to confuse your personal perspective with reality

Reality is perception ;)

Yesterdays truth is not today's truth but to be truth it has to be true at the time it is called truth.

Well said !

Reality is what is real at the time.

Yep, and that is subjective to what "time it is".

• snowbird
    snowbird

Reality is relative?

Oh, my poor head!

LOL.

Sylvia

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I don't mind her egotism, but what makes me sick are the sycophants that think she had anything to say. Sure, she had five minutes of good material, but that was it.

Personally, I think of all the fiction writers who write works which have philosophical underpinnings, Colin Wilson is/was the best.

If everyone should have read Atlas Shrugged (which they should, and The Fountainhead as well), they should likewise read The Outsider, and Religion and The Rebel.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento: Reality is perception

If you really believe that then you have missed the whole point of this exchange and are bound to live a life of delusion.

Perhaps Terry can explain it better.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Reality is relative?
    Oh, my poor head!

Welcome to the new world, baby !!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    If you really believe that then you have missed the whole point of this exchange.

I think you are taking reality a little to real, in regards to this discussion.

Can reality exist outside of what it is preceived to be?

Can we make our own reality based on what we precieve?

In other words, does the mind create reality or does reality creat the preception of the mind?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    I think you are taking reality a little to real, in regards to this discussion.

Do you want to edit this before the 30 minutes expires.

Can reality exist outside of what it is perceived to be?

No. Perception very often exists outside of reality because humans are for the most part delusional creatures.

Can reality exist outside of what it is perceived to be?

Of course we can create what we believe to be reality in our mind and call it 'our reality' but it a delusion.

Reality is not negotiable.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Do you want to edit this before the 30 minutes expires.

It wouldn't be real if I did.

;)

No. Perception very often exists outside of reality because humans are for the most part delusional creatures.

And yet, it is US that coin the term "reality", in all our delusion.

Of course we can create what we believe to be reality and call it 'our reality' but it a delusion. Reality is not negotiable.

Which reality is not negotiable?

Physical?

mental?

Do our bodies distinguish between what it real and what the mind tells it that is real?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit