Why did Russell look so different?

by startingover 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

LOL!! Love the cough drop comment! Also, who's stupid idea was it to line the men up from tallest to shortest?! Nothing like making the shortest guy feel like the size of an ant . . . . every man's dream I'm sure.

• possible-san
    possible-san

I think that because he (Russell) was a charismatic leader.

Also in Japan, there are new religions' founders of looks like Russell.
    Probably, their looks differ from many Japanese people whom you meet.

For instance, Mr. Ikuro Teshima (1910-1973) of the "Kirisuto no makuya (Christ's tent)."

Moreover, Mr. Shoko Asahara (1955-) of the "Aum Shinrikyo (Aum Supreme Truth)" which acted as terrorism in Japan.

• blondie
    blondie

Here's some more kooks from that time:

KING EDWARD VII OF ENGLAND (1910)

JOHANNES BRAHMS

ANDREW CARNEGIE

LYTTON STRACHEY

• RR
    RR

That was the style back then. If you look at photos of Russell from the beginning of his ministry, he always wore the beard and the same style clothing.

Look at the various photos of Judge Rutherford, he always wore that silly W.C. Fields hat

• startingover
    startingover

I guess a beard is one thing, but that with the long hair seems to make him different. Like the japanese guy.

• RR
    RR

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

When they decided it was an "organization" rather than a "religion" (remember that period in the 80s when the WTS eshewed the word "religion" and then decided to use it again, as people were getting worried that they were in an organization like the PLO or the United Nations rather than anything spiritual like a "religion"?) I'm sure that the rules about conformity of dress, speech and behavior started coming in to it.

That's why people have "uniforms" even if of their own making, so everyone knows more or less who they are. Hippies wearing cruddy blue jeans and cast off army jackets were telling you what they stood for, and the Watchtower Society makes sure that when you march up the sidewalk with your book bag and your middle management suit, short hair and shaved face, you're a JW.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Christendom

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

When I look at my family's old photo albums - they were friends of various among the clergy - I see that many among the clergy had long hair and beard and looked impressive, whereas the "ordinary people" had no such things. It was more or less expected, I feel, that clergy - men of God - in addition to the fact they in people's eyes had closer contact to God, also had to have an outward appearance reflecting that; they had to stand out somehow. Franz wore sweater / jersey and no tie even at conventions (causing quite a few to follow the style for a while), I kind of like that touch of personal style.

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

Clearly he was a homosexual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit