A question for anybody into Computers in an advanced way.. What is the ideal setup?

by callitquits76 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Chalam
    Chalam

New models just arrived :)

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/

Blessings,

Stephen

• besty
    besty

apple.com - buy the most expensive thing there and you'll be good to go....

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Another option would be to go to HP and select and customize your system specifically to your needs and costs.

They also make some fine monitors, that are worthy of a look.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=HPE180t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/HPE180t_series

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I like HP monitors, but have had a couple decades of early failures with HP and Compaq (bought by HP) - your mileage may vary, of course. I've managed a few Help Desks.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

So as a gift, my boss is giving me my office computer when I leave for another job (yes, he is awesome). It's a Dell, Pentium D with two processors running at 2.9Ghz each (from what I can tell) and 2 gigs of ram. Not sure what kind of ram it is. Hard drive is 320 GB.

How out of date is it? I might do a little gaming (once Starcraft 2 comes out), but mostly its for general office and internet use, ArcGIS, some Photoshop/Coreldraw, and having a ton of word documents open at one time on two monitors.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Over the last two years I have gotten into video editing it a big way. So a month ago I bought a who new system to do video editing.

MacPro desktop

2 quad core 2.26 GHz processors

12 gig RAM

4, 1 terrabyte eSATA 7200 RPM Hard Drives

2, 520 MB NVIDIA video cards

3, Samsung monitors

This Is in my opinion the ideal setup for video editing

The software I use is Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing

and Photo shop for editing stills

This is the best computer I have ever owned.

LD

• garyneal
    garyneal

I like to run virtual machines for development purposes. Our IT guy put us on VMWare Workstation but it is a memory hog. I have a Pentium Core 2 Duo (a bit older technology) that orignally had 2 GB of RAM running Windows XP. Disk was thrashing too much so I had the memory maxed out to 8 GB and loaded Windows 7 64-bit.

Runs much cooler now. If I can only replace the processor with a quad core...

• glenster
    glenster

Correction: "ATI 4970" in my post should be "ATI 5970."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit