Theocratic sleeping: have you seen anyone asleep at the KH? Or done it yourself?

by highdose 26 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do know one brother who was actually MS many years ago, he had two full time jobs, he is always tired, he sleeps about the whole time thru the meetings. The elders think it is okay. I wonder where he is now. His last name is Chapman. I forgot his first name. He did give all kinds of talks in the Kingdom Hall.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I would sleep while reading at the BS and a coupla times reading the WT LOL

Rumor has it I would snore during the BS HAHAHAHAHA

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I used to fall asleep during meetings... I think the only thing that saved me was that I was one of those who had the 'priveledge' of adjusting the volume on the sound system - and playing the records for the songs (that is how long ago it was - they still had turntables with 33RPM records.)

Anyway - whenever I wasn't doing that - I would tend to get drowsy and nod off. I learned that getting up and getting a cool drink from the fountain helped...

My brother - younger than me - I remember him sitting up near the front of the hall - and propping his head on his hand. His elbow on the armrest - he nodded off... and his elbow slipped - down he went! BOOM! all the way to the floor - in the middle of the aisle. Woken up... he sleepily picked himself up from the floor - and sat back down - placing his head on his hand... his elbow re-planted on the arm rest. ..... zzzzzzzzz

Regards,

Jim TX

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I always took a nap during the afternoon session of assemblies. What were they going to do? Spank me?

Once I awakened, I was refreshed and could actually pay attention, rather than fighting sleep.

• chickpea
    chickpea

my husband would start with a series of head-bobs
    we called "head gymnastics" before he finally just
    fell asleep, at most CA/DCs

me? i had 4 kids to keep track of!
    thanks for the back-up, hub

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

i was "counseled" for falling asleep at the meetings. as an up and coming ms, i was told that falling asleep during the public talk was not accepted and that if i felt tired i needed more sleep at night, not during the meeting. now i dont fall asleep at the meetings, since i rarely go.

• poor places
    poor places

I have a theory that you have to be an absolutely brilliant speaker to make those convention outlines interesting. Most brothers sound like they're reading the talk from a sheet. I've heard before that speakers at assemblies and conventions are supposed to give the talk more or less word for word from the outline, so I think that should account for the extremely boring nature of most of the talks. If the brothers were just given a little more leeway regarding what they could say, I guarantee that the talks would be a million times more interesting.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I tended to sleep through parts of the Grand Boasting Sessions. Unless, that is, I had headphones on playing real music (including rap music, swearing and all). Of course, if I don't go at all, I cannot sleep at the boasting session.

Who is the idiot that told you that you needed more sleep the night before? That might make sense, except that most witlesses would be hounded "Now your field circus time is deficient" if they ever tried that.

• yknot
    yknot

I have seen quite a lot of Service meeting snoozing....... but I spent a good amount of time in a 'older-congregation'.....

As for CA, SPAD, DC sleeping......oh that is rampant among the born/raised. I think most of the adult snoozers had parents who kept them up late intentionally so they would sleep through most of the program.

My favorite congregation to visit has sense of humor when it comes to falling asleep--- the mic-handlers wake the person and the conductor asks them to repeat their comment as it was such fine counsel that it bears repeating!..... needless to say the sleeper is startled (occassionally trying to fake a comment), and the congregation breaks up into boisterous laughter.

• RN
    RN

Deliberate public humiliation of another isn't my idea of funny. I can imagine the elder responsible for that has a bit of a sadistic streak. If he had served on the same elder body with my father he would have been "ripped a new one". What an asshole.

RN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit