What is the reasoning of Israelites being allowed to have concubines?

by EmptyInside 25 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Were they all foreign women? It seems to be contradictory too, because they weren't to have marriage alliances with other nations. But, I guess using the woman as a sex slave and baby making machine was okay. This issue has always bothered me on so many levels.

It seemed like sanctioned fornication and adultery.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Don't forget men wrote the bible.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Okay, well, let me clarify my question then. What is the Society's explanation of this matter? I think I looked it up some time ago, but never found a satisfactory answer.

• peaches
    peaches

they didn't have fast food,,,,energy drinks,,,etc etc...all they ate was organic food...the result??? horniness to the extreme and one woman couldn't satisfy them....

• finallysomepride
  • designs
    designs

Early Jewish marriage and family differed little from the Assyrian-Babylonian model- principal wife and property wives and women as chattel. All of the so-called holy men and patriarchs were polygamists.

Ezra is roughly considered the first Reformer or the documentor of the reformation, slavery began to diminish as did polygamy. Polygamy existed up to 1000 AD among the majority of Jews until the second wave of the Jewish intelectual Reformation took effect under Rabbi Gershom and a prohibition was declared. Twohundred years later Rabbi Maimonides further pressed the issue in the Ketubah agreement, but among some old order sects of Judaism polygamy has continued to the present.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm sorry Peaches, your logic is faulty. Women can do it 24-7, healthy organic fed women.......................shooooooot!

The problem must have been that these men were ugly, and needed to "pay" for it. I bet the hottest men needed no concubines.

• yknot
    yknot

Male entitlement issues....

Men still label women in sexual levels too....... there are the girls you date (bring home to mama) and those you don't.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Polygamy was the most common form of marriage in those times. The main reason for it was the lack of men. Women probably outnumbered men two to one in some cultures.

Depending on how warlike a tribe or society was, they could lose up to 40% of their males in their prime to violence, war and hunting accidents.

Anthropologists base that on Stone and Bronze Age artifacts, graves and also, on tribes of people in recent times who lived in Stone Age or Bronze Age isolation, like the natives of New Guinea.

They had similar problems, and they were polygamist...so were many Native American plains tribes polygamist for that same reason or the Mongols. Warrior cultures lose a lot of their men. Yes, the Hebrews were a tribal warrior culture in those times. Have you read their book...hellooo? They're always fighting with some other tribe who wants their goats and gardens. Foreskin trophies and heads on pikes and swording women and children and decapitating and...well, they definitely get an R rating from me.

Also, high infant mortality, diesease, famine...life in the Bronze Age was kind of short, violent and not a whole lot of fun sometimes. Probably why their gods were mean SOBs most of the time, Jehovah included.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I looked it up too and it mentioned how it helped increase the population faster. But, my question has to do more with, why the Israelites copied the nations around them in this regard. I never got a clear explanation in the Society's literature as to why this was practiced by Jehovah's so-called chosen people. Shouldn't there have been a higher standard for them? How awful for the women living as concubines. It seems they were just property.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit