1/2002 KM: WT & Awake Sub Campaign

by AMNESIAN 15 Replies latest jw friends

• uncle jimbo
    uncle jimbo

SpinDoctor,

We try to use any donated funds wisely. Placing an older publication makes good use of even the “widow’s mite” by reducing waste. This way, we can show that Jehovah and his Organization appreciate even the most seemingly insignificant donation to the worldwide work.
    Those comments show a sincere concern for others. Perhaps my "meat in due season" crack was inapporpriate. But, I'm curious that if Jehovah's organization wants to spread this life saving message most efficiently, why not publish the contents of the magizines and publications on the Internet, where tens or hundreds of millions can download them for no cost at all.

The cost of running a few servers with the publications on them in all different languages surely must be lower than the cost of printing and shipping them all over the world. The Watchtower would be getting the most out of the “widow’s mite” possible.

I'm curious your thoughts on the subject.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Spin and welcome to this happy place.

I was interested in your comments and would ask you why, if what you say is true, do the Society still offer literature for money at the doors in the poor countries whereas the donation arrangement is in operation in the more affluent countries which also have tax laws that would impinge on the distribution of literature?

As an example, the donation arrangement was introduced in Oz just a few months before the commencement of a Goods & Services Tax (VAT).

When you hear the spin, SpinDoctor, just think of the line "it ain't necessarily so".

Cheers,
    Ozzie
    "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• JT
    JT

Spindoctor

welcome

while I may not agree with all your views at least here you are free to say what is on your mind

welcome and keep posting

james

• SpinDoctor
    SpinDoctor
    . But, I'm curious that if Jehovah's organization wants to spread this life saving message most efficiently, why not publish the contents of the magizines and publications on the Internet, where tens or hundreds of millions can download them for no cost at all.

This would also tempt our brothers and sisters to use the Internet. Large numbers of unsuspecting brothers and sisters may not remember the URL, and so will enter “Jehovah’s Witnesses” in a search engine in an effort to find the site. This could lead them to read apostate literature and be misled. We have a duty to protect our brothers and sisters from spiritual dangers.

Web-based literature also carries the possibility that Jehovah’s enemies may “mine” such on-line literature with sophisticated software for the purpose of defaming Jehovah’s Organization. This is done with the WT CD-ROM today, which is why we try to restrict WT CD-ROM distribution to active Jehovah’s Witnesses only.

The cost of running a few servers with the publications on them in all different languages surely must be lower than the cost of printing and shipping them all over the world. The Watchtower would be getting the most out of the “widow’s mite” possible.
    I'm curious your thoughts on the subject.
    This would actually add to the costs. Since many people, especially older persons, are not yet Net-literate, they are best reached by the conventional door-to-door work. Hence, we still have the normal printing costs. Any web-based work would carry some additional cost. Plus, there is the cost of converting files so they are suitable for the Web. Software could be written to minimize such costs, but then there would be extra labor expended to ensure all literature is written in a form suitable for printing and conversion for Web use.

For now, it appears that Jehovah is directing us to continue using printed literature only.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hello Spin,

With comments like that , you are in for a rough ride, but welcome..

Take note of what people say ,do not shut off your mind from the common sense that is in these threads, then perhaps this net experience will be beneficial .

Incidentaly, what is a "Good hearted person?" typical WT phrase.

I suppose one that is gullible enough to accept without question the clap trap and twisted scripure purveyed by the ORG.y r

• SpinDoctor
    SpinDoctor
    I was interested in your comments and would ask you why, if what you say is true, do the Society still offer literature for money at the doors in the poor countries whereas the donation arrangement is in operation in the more affluent countries which also have tax laws that would impinge on the distribution of literature?
    As an example, the donation arrangement was introduced in Oz just a few months before the commencement of a Goods & Services Tax (VAT).

If sales tax is charged, the publisher will have to create a paper record of it. Then someone has to get the tax monies to the government. So, either the individual publisher, congregation, or the Society itself would have to physically handle the monies and pay the government. If handled at a publisher or congregation level, some individual publishers or congregations will likely make a mistake. This could result in legal action and cause unnecessary reproach on Jehovah’s name, and cause the individual publisher and congregation undue anxiety. It would also take their focus off of their primary goal, which is preaching about the Kingdom hope.

So, the Society is the one best qualified to handle the paperwork. Unfortunately, this is not cost effective. Millions of pieces of literature are placed each month. Millions of pieces of paperwork would be generated, and the Society would have to obtain them somehow…and uses the congregations and publishers will have some of the problems just described. Plus, the overhead of processing them at the Society itself would be extremely expense, and not a cost-effective way of using donated funds.

In non-affluent countries, the individual publishers may not have the funds to donate to fully support the preaching work. The traditional method of charging for literature has worked well for years, and continues to work well. Hence, the Society wisely funds the preaching work in poorer countries by charging for literature.

What about affluent countries that do not charge sales tax? Again, the traditional method of charging for literature has worked well for years, and continues to work well. Also, charging for literature helps ensure that the household has some interest before taking the literature, and hence is more likely to read it and benefit from its life-saving message.

For now, Jehovah seems to be directing His Organization to continue using sales tax as the main decision criteria. Since the work is still being funded, we see this as the criteria Jehovah seems to approve of using at this time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit