Left foot braking thread lives again...

by JWoods 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

OK, as I promised I put up the left foot braking idea up as a thread in the driver education section of my Ferrari web site.

Although it died here, (and I could not find it to add this), it has lived for at least a couple of weeks over there (40 posts now).

The concensus is just about 20 to 1 that left foot braking is perfectly acceptable with an automatic on the public road - IF the driver makes the effort to learn how to do it well. ((does not drag brakes, over use brakes, etc.))

Interestingly, over a dozen posters there have the paddle shift manu-matics in their cars and race them in amateur events. All say they have started using LFB on the track and have shifted to this on the road to keep in practice. Several are like me - in that they have always used left foot for braking with automatics as long as they have been driving cars.

One person (who claims to know) says that about half or more of the Formula One drivers today use left foot braking - F1 cars no longer have a foot clutch pedal. Many current racing drivers got started in Karts, almost all of which all have left foot braking. All the racers claim that they can lap faster with LFB, and that in certain places both brake and accelerator are needed together to balance the car.

Note that I am not saying everybody here should do this - but at least for the hard-core Ferrari people it is a pretty much accepted practice.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

People who use thier left foot to brake..Usually end up riding the brake.

A habit that will lead you to costly repairs,very quickly..

Unless there is an equivelent Cash Prize,to a Formula 1 race..

It`s not worth the extra cash you are going to have to spend on repairs..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods

No, Outlaw - NO. We DO NOT ride our brakes like that!!!

(at least the enthusiasts don't)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Outlaw said "usually" and that doesn't include enthusiasts. Car (especially Ferrari) enthusiasts are a tiny minority of all drivers, most of which wreck their brakes by using the "wrong" foot. It is also dangerous, because one can depress both pedals at once if they use two feet. I am a big proponent of one-foot driving in an automatic (with the only exception being pro or near-pro drivers like you describe, JWoods).

• undercover
    undercover

Outlaw...for the average, everyday, soccer mom/dad, non-enthusiast type driver...I agree... but then again, them dumbasses ride the brakes with the right foot, so what's the difference?

• JWoods
    JWoods

Didn't say I was suggesting that people on this board use both feet, Sweeney - mostly for the reasons you say.

Just thought that people here might be interested to know that there is another view to this within the car enthusiast world.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If you ever have a foot on both the brake and the gas..

Riding your brakes is inevitable..

I`ve seen brakes on fire,here in the Canadian Mountains..

Loosing your brakes going down one of our mountains,will get you killed..

You may even kill people in an on coming vehicle..

Using your engine to slow a vehicle,is much better than continually using your brakes..

Using 1 foot to drive an automatic,reduces your chances of getting into a shitty situation..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

but then again, them dumbasses ride the brakes with the right foot, so what's the difference?.....UnderCover

LOL!!..

Ya Bud..Your Right..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Left braking is the mechanic's best friend... because it'll pay all kinds of bill for him!

• JWoods
    JWoods

If you ever have a foot on both the brake and the gas..

Riding your brakes is inevitable..

The idea is that you don't use them at the SAME TIME - you just use your left foot exactly like you would your right foot on the brake pedal. On the road -

The racers actually DO use both at the same time for car balance, but that is different...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit