Who owns the Kingdom Halls?

by dissed 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

I only ask this because when in, our KH was on leased tribal land and the local JW's could never really get title. In fact it was difficult to secure a loan from the WTS, so we got one privately because of that. They didn't like the part in the tribes contract that said they could take the building if we didn't fullfill our charter with them and it had to be listed with some local Native Americans of that tribe and not the Elders. (What if they quit or worse, became apostates? The locals could seize the building)

But today, who keeps the title when the loan to the WTS is paid off on any KH, the local JW's or the WTS?

Would like to know.........

• its_me!
    its_me!

Wish I had an answer, I am curious to know too. I will definitely keep checking this thread to see if anyone knows! I hadn't really ever thought about it, but now that you brought it up, I feel like I have to know!!!

• blondie
    blondie

In the US congregations are set up as non-profit corporations with 3 elders from the congregation that has the property in their territory. The elders are only trustees and do not own anything nor does the congregation. If any of these elders are removed or step down, die, or move outside this congregation, another trustee is appointed by the BOE. If this corporation is dissolved (if the congregation is dissolvedl), the property reverts to the parent non-profit corporation, the WTS, which also functions the same way with trustees with ownership not being held by them or the trustees. I can say that I have seen these trustees disregard the "requests" of COs and DOs to sell property.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This astounds me.

• The rank and file donate money to the Watchtower Organization.
    • They decide to build a Kingdom Hall, and ask the Watchtower Organization for a loan to build this Kingdom Hall.
    • The Watchtower Organization loans them back the money they have donated, plus interest until they can "donate" it back.
    • The rank and file build the Kingdom Hall with their labor and expertise, using monies that should still be rightfully theirs, but ultimately...
    • The Watchtower Corporation owns the Kingdom Hall, not the ones who built and paid for it.

So... the congregation pays for the Kingdom Hall twice (with interest) and builds it with their own hands, yet do not actually own it.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Baba Yaga, did you not read Blondie's post? The only way the Watchtower corporation would own the KH is if the congregation is dissolved. The local congregations using the Hall own it.

No Apologies

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Exactly, No Apologies. Yes, I did see that. And I said that ultimately, the Watchtower owns it, which is true.

If an entire congregation were to awaken (aka "turn apostate") do you think they could hang onto the building, after paying for it twice and building it with their own hands? Not without one heck of a legal battle, and I don't think they'd win.

• dgp
    dgp

In my books, being able to use a piece of real estate but not being able to sell it or use it for mortgage means you don't really own the thing. Even more so if the property is to be transferred to a third party in case you leave the organization.

• blondie
    blondie

Ultimately the WTS would own it but only if it dissolved all the congregations....which would not be practical. Legally, the WTS does not have any control over the assets until the congregation is dissolved. It could be helpful to check the IRS site regarding non-profit organizations or consult a lawyer who works in this area.

I'll add that I work in the legal field and am the financial officer for a non-profit corporation. I don't speak from theory but hard won knowledge about how non-profit corporations operate in the US.

• blondie
    blondie

Ending a Nonprofit Corporation

Nonprofits are not actually owned by anyone and therefore cannot be sold. If the directors of a nonprofit corporation decide to dissolve it, they must pay off all debts and obligations of the nonprofit and distribute all of its assets to another tax-exempt nonprofit corporation.

http://www.statelawyers.com/Practice/Practice_Detail.cfm/PracticeTypeID:71

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    If the directors of a nonprofit corporation decide to dissolve it, they must pay off all debts and obligations of the nonprofit and distribute all of its assets to another tax-exempt nonprofit corporation.

This is very interesting to know, regardless. Thank you, Blondie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit