Are you a better person for having been involved with witnesses?

by John Doe 30 Replies latest jw friends

• peaches
    peaches

yes,,,,and ...no.....in some ways i have grown in religious thinking,,,,i have learned the power of cults,,,,,,i learned basic bible principles,,,and facts about the bible.....and the list could go on....on the other hand,,,,,i have grown in what religious thinking can do to people that have power,,,,i have lerned the power of cults,,,i learned basic bible principles can be exagerated and distorted to the point of crippling people,,,,i have learned that bible facts are some times not facts,,,,but,,,fiction....

i will not ever forget what i have learned....the sad part----i wish i could...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

While I was a witless, I was taught by one of the most judgmental people in the congregation to be judgmental. For instance, things that were none of anyone's business were to be reported--and this included things like watching Christmas specials on TV, driving around to look at the lights, and watching PG movies. I have heard derogatory terms from the platform about worldly people--"urine" and "poison" being among them. They, and especially disfellowshipped people, are supposed to be treated like pigs and dogs--you would have the minimum of association with them, except to drag them into the cancer.

And for what? I can understand things like extortion, lying to promote scams, and stealing (as in physically stealing property, by force or fraud) as being wrong. But things like fornication, gambling, materialism, idolatry, smoking, using drugs, celebrating whatever holiday or birthday you feel like, visiting apostate web sites, questioning the ideas of the religious leaders, and the like are simply no one else's business but those involved. (And neither is homosexuality, for the record.) Let alone things like listening to Journey or Michael Jackson, selling a "bad" record instead of destroying it, wearing a colored or striped shirt instead of a white one (or having the collar button undone during muggy weather), watching a PG-13 movie, playing with worldly children in school or worldly workmates, and playing competitive sports.

Needless to say, this does not help one to win any friends within the congregation, let alone in the world.

• snowbird
    snowbird

No; I was born the "better" person.

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry

I started going to the Kingdom Hall when I met the guy who would become my best friend. I was about 13 years old.

The positive part was that I was given a purpose in which I could channel my energy, talent and focus.

I viewed the people I was hanging around with as "friends", the people at the Hall as "brothers and sisters"; it was "family."

Turns out they weren't my friends (most of them). They weren't my family.

What I gained was a sense of myself I would not have had otherwise. I went from being shy and introverted to poised, confident and good at public speaking and meeting strangers. That is a plus.

The negatives were really awful.

I wasted most of my youth.

It was a total lie and a total waste of time.

I can't get my youth back and I can't undo anything already done that I regret.

I view myself not as a "better person" but as a "wasted" person. I'm a wasted opportunity.

I may not be bitter about it, but, I'm pissed.

• moshe
    moshe

I wasted 16 years of my life- and like Terry I gained public speaking experience and also a desire to avoid any volunteer work that gives me that Deja Vu feeling of helping out at the KH. The only people who are helped by JW's are ones who overcome addiction or illiteracy. They could have done that by other less destructive means, too.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Yes and no.

On another point:

It became clear to me that the organization itself had completely abandoned the faith they'd claimed to represent.

This resonated with me. I suspect many people come to this conclusion but don't always articulate it. I think "conscience" plays a big role in why many leave.

• littlebird
    littlebird

I try to look at the positives I can find in any circumstance. I was 16, it controlled me enough to get me off of drugs and other unpleasant things. I needed to be controlled at the time. Not really sure I would be alive without it. Having said that, I find I'm a better person, happier and more fulfilled since I left.

• yknot
    yknot

Who knows...... I was born into it!

• The Finger
    The Finger

It's a really good question i think. I've thought about it alot over the years. I would really like to say no, but if i'm honest I think i would have to say yes.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Difficult to answer for someone who was born in. Would I be the person I am if I hadn't been? Who knows. I do think that leaving the witnesses forced me to develop critical thinking skills I may not have otherwise. It's made me more attuned to detecting bs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit