Whats with the karate chops????

by highdose 17 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Something i can't explain and i'm hoping someone here can: I've seen footage of people doing karate chops against bricks etc, when they slow the footage down to slow motion it shows that before the blow has struck the object breaks????

Now whats going on there please?

• JWoods
    JWoods

Maybe because the frames show the hand a frame AFTER it has bounced off the brick or whatever and it is already breaking? Related to how the spokes on a wagon sometimes look like they are going backwards in old cowboy movies -

Too many of these shots around to have every one faked some way.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You have to Hit It..To Break It..

The video is phoney..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Breaking relies on the laws of physics, you hit soemthing hard enough it breaks.

The hand is soft and pliable, unlike a hammer, so it impacts and gives and bounces back.

You may be seeing what JWoods referes to.

Having done MA for over 30 years and quite a bit of "iron plam" breaking - bricks, concrete slabs and such, I can tell you there is NO "trick" behind it, unless it is a"trick break" ( fake material, bake bricks, whatever).

• PSacramento
  • ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Here's how we do it.

1. You punch/strike/kick a firm, smooth object with a bit of give to it for a certain period of time. Doing that puts callouses on your stricking surface.

2. You move to a firm, rough object with a bit of give to it for a certain period of time. That thickens the callouses on the stricking surface.

3. You move from a firm, rough object with some give to it to a thin, solid, smooth object with no give to it, like a few pine boards put together or a rebreakable board. That thickens the callouses even further.

4. You move from a thin, smooth object with no give to it to a thicker, rougher object with no give to it. Think a thin patio block. If you want the thickness to increase, you move from thicker smooth object (Thicker pieces of wood) and then move to a rough object with that same thickness.

5. Sooner or later, you're now breaking bricks.

Be sure to do some strength training and isolate the tricep muscles. Those are the muscles you depend upon to break boards with punches and other hand strikes (Knifehands, palm strikes, spear hands, hand thrusts, arc hands, ridgehands, etc).

So far, I can break a floor tile with a straight punch and I can break a patio block with an axe kick and a side thrusting kick.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Also been involved with martial arts for years. Nothing but strong direct hits breaking objects from my experience.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I agree with the above however in my experience correct technique is vital. It is not primarily about physical power, at least no more than most people can deliver.

That doesn't mean that some people don't fake it of course, like anything else in life. As an aside, I found house bricks are a lot more difficult to break than roof tiles.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

ColdRedRain, the training series you explain takes how long? Weeks? Months?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I was first exposed to breaking in Karate ( kyokushin and okinawan Goju)) and then in TKD, those methods pale comapred to the Iron Hand training found in Kung fu systems like Hung Kuen, Ba gua and Shuai Chiao ( as examples).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit