Michael Jursa (British Museum) and 587 vs. 607 B.C.

by Dogpatch 34 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus made it clear that NO ONE knows the time and that anyone saying they did was a false prophet.

he didn't mention this, that or anything else, no time frames no calculations, he disn't say a thing about it.

He warned about people using signs to fortell it and called them false prophets, that he did do.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

He warned about people using signs to foretell it and called them false prophets, that he did do.

Maybe he should have warned of people making profits $ from their false prophecies

• steve2
    steve2
    By that I mean - rather than discuss the historical date, might it be better to attack the total nonsense of trying to add this up to 1914, 1934, or whatever the date? Or to remind interested persons in such dates that NONE OF THESE JW CHRONOLOGIES HAVE EVER WORKED?

Well said JWoods. I continue to be astonished at how "Bible Students" rake over ancient texts to identify their meaning for today's world.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Well said JWoods. I continue to be astonished at how "Bible Students" rake over ancient texts to identify their meaning for today's world.

Same here. And, one really revealing weakness in all this is the total reliance on "worldly (non-biblical) chronology" to torture up a so-called "bible prophecy"!

This from people who normally reject ANYTHING that did not come from their NWT bible or the WT brooklyn presses!?!

• Kum Vulcan
    Kum Vulcan

Jwoods and Mad, You both have excellent points, but they are only valid if trying to reason with a normal individual. If there is any hope whatsoever for a JW to wake up by using either the "607 is wrong, because of...", or "your GB just glued some scriptures after smoking dope and applying the theory of relativity" approach, I bet my ass on the former. As you know, if the 607 is shown invalid, that gives the JW the opportunity to draw their own conclusions about the validity of the 1919 appointment, etc. Not that the majority will act upon those conclusions or anything.... -KV

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Let it be understood that the WBTS will never come out with any new information that would put their set 1914 chronological dating

invalid, this would have the potential damage of cracking open that this is god's only truthful and solemn organization ( Bullshit )

to smithereens.

Religions develop and maintain themselves mainly on circumventing bullshit, the WBTS has shown time and time again that they will

only extrapolate information that will support their self designed doctrines, more out of necessity than anything.

One could define this as selective information or in other words intellectual dishonesty.

But hey folks thats religion take or leave it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Vulcan, I see what you mean, but how about rather than showing that 607 is wrong, just show them that 607 is not relevant by asking them to answer a simple question:

What is the scriptural connection between the dream of Nebuchadnezzar and Jerusalem's destruction?

Answer: there isn't one. It is invented. They will try to show you the next scripture in the series but then you ask: Why is that scripture connected with Nebuchadnezzar's dream?

Answer: There is NO connection. It is invented.

Then tell them you will assume a connection exists (even though they can't find one) and ask them to keep explaining the doctrine. When they pull out the next unrelated verse you ask again: Why is that scripture connected to the previous two?

Eventually the cognitive dissonance will be too much to bear. THEN you tell them that EVERY SCHOLAR says 587/86 is the date, not 607, so EVEN IF the made up connections were true (which he's already now doubting) the WT starts at the wrong date.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

From the Awake! article:

"The Bible's veracity, however, does not depend on archaeology. Far more powerful evidence can be found within the Bible itself, especially in its prophecies."

A very strange statement to make. Without depending on archaeology, how can certain biblical events and prophecies fulfilled in the distant past be verified? Duh.

• Terry
    Terry

As I have pointed out in two number/date related topics started here, it is impossible to determine anything from the Bible's use of numbers, dates and quantities.

The Watchtower article manages to quote a real person with credentials about a related subject. Then, while that is still fresh in the reader's mind confront the reader with the bogus date of 607.

This is intellectual dishonesty of the highest order. (or the lowest.)

Discouraging active JW's from outside research pays off, doesn't it?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't think there has to be a conflct between showing the problems with the 607/587 date AND showing that it is all BS. It's a one-two bunch, two turds stacked on top of each other just make a bigger pile. Whatever it takes to get some one to see that we're talking about turds is good in my book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit