We can give gifts all year long

by bluecanary 19 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

i used to get 'assembly' gifts as a kid, circuit assembly presents were smaller, stadium assembly presents were bigger, and i could trade up to bigger/better by negotiating to skip the circuit presents and get something decent.

when i left home i lost some of those items as they were assembly presents and i was no longer worthy of having them but hey ho it was nice idea anyways.

• nugget
    nugget

Some families did seem to have plenty of stuff, up to date games consoles and kids stuff so there was obviously money being spent within the family. The problem came with sharing the wealth. It was rare for people to give spontaneous gifts outside the family units. I do feel for people with no family connections within the hall as the chances of them being given a present are non existent.

The witnesses condemn worldly people for giving gifts at set times of year but in all honesty the witnesses prove that without the reminder of an occasion then the gifts dry up.

We have just spent a satisfactory easter with only one family bust up, chocolate eggs given and received, one easter egg hunt and a new rabbit and hutch for my daughter. It was a reminder of the fun of an occasion and the joy of giving.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'll admit it is a lackluster response about being able to recieve gifts all year, but at the same time is it really that awful of a thing to not recieve gifts during Christmas or Birthdays? There are plenty of things I missed out on due to being a born-in, but gifts weren't one of them. I don't ever recall being all that bent out of shape when kids bragged about what they got for Christmas. I was more upset about only having four of the Constructicons, and so I could never put them together and form Devatator. But even now as an adult who's in the process of making an exit out of the JW world, I find myself somewhat thankful I don't celebrate Christmas or Birthdays. Looking at people all stressed about preparing holiday meals, and shopping, planning this or that, etc.. I'm glad I don't have to do any of that crap. Part of that might be the single, selfish male in me talking to be honest and fair though.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I personally give ones I care about gifts all the time. Usually if I am out, see a good deal that would be nice for a particular person, I'll get it for him/her. I also am probably the only born in JW who really never missed Xmas. My parents treated report card time as holidays, and since I was an excellent student, I used to clean up in toys and money. Even now that I'm out, I would probably only celebrate X mas if my signicant other did.

jada

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

misery, I totally understand what you're saying. As a kid, I didn't really feel bad about the gifts. I did think that boxed, wrapped gifts were very pretty and would have enjoyed getting even an empty box just to look at it, but otherwise, I did felt like my family had enough stuff. It's not that you're missing out on something you deserve--you're missing out on something extra. Something special. Sure I get a paycheck at work, but it's nice to receive a bonus sometimes, too.

I always figured that it was good I was missing out on the hectic holiday madness of shopping, cooking, decorating and entertaining. But now that I've tried it, I really like that stuff! It's all in how you approach it. If it's an obligation it's drudgery. If you do it just to have fun, you will.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

It's not that you're missing out on something you deserve--you're missing out on something extra. Something special. Sure I get a paycheck at work, but it's nice to receive a bonus sometimes, too.

I always figured that it was good I was missing out on the hectic holiday madness of shopping, cooking, decorating and entertaining. But now that I've tried it, I really like that stuff! It's all in how you approach it. If it's an obligation it's drudgery. If you do it just to have fun, you will.

I find this intriguing. You really like it now? I don't know if its me being a male, or the JW upbringing, but it just seems so foreign to me how somebody could "really like that stuff." As a teenager, and now as an adult, I hated JW "gatherings", "get-togethers" anniversary parties, graduation parties, etc.. I've lied more times than I care to remember to get out of those situations. Everything from faking sick, to saying I need to do some work out at the assembly hall. So you're saying wordly holidays are actually fun huh?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

misery, I think it is just a personality difference. The holidays are fun for me; doesn't mean they'd be fun for you. I haven't done anything extravagent. The only people I really dealt with are the ones I usually spend time with anyway. The decorating was very pretty to look at. I gave homemade gifts to everyone and had a lot of fun with that. And the only thing I like more than making food is eating food.

Mmm, food.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Now that food part, I'm there with you on that one.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I guess you have to be a people person and family oriented person to appreciate the holidays in full. If you hate parties in general, then you probably would not appreciate a Christmas celebration. I lived for the little excitement I could get through the khall stuff like weddings and baby showers because my childhood was so boring. Now, I love the holidays specifically because they are something special to do something special for someone special. It's so much fun to do all the preparation for them. I enjoy it immensely because all the work I do benefits not only me but others, as well.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My ex enjoyed giving gifts and didn't need an occasion. My mom, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy saving the $$.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit