Remembering why I haven't gotten married

by keyser soze 9 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

There's nothing like a trip to the supermarket to remind a person that being single isn't so bad. I was at the self-checkout and had a front row seat to a couple in their forties arguing over their inability to operate the scanner. More to the point, it was her loudly berating him for any attempt he made to help. The most amusing aspect of the whole thing was the clerk standing directly behind them, chuckling, rather than offering any assistance.

Is it really a requirement for married couples to spend every waking moment together, even when undertaking the most menial of tasks, such as grocery shopping, and even when they are so obviously incompatible in a public setting?

• The Finger
    The Finger

We don't argue we just seeth.

• peaches
    peaches

finger...hahahahahaha.....priceless

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

God, I hope not. I spend as much time apart from my husband as possible. I seem to enjoy him more that way.

I never did understand those joined at the hip couples. I do a great many things that do not involve my husband at all, and it keeps me sane.

We have a very "modern" sort of marriage, though, I think. Even though we got married when we were both JWs, we got married at a courthouse and excluded "obey" and all that jazz from the ceremony. Married by a judge, not an elder in a Kingdom Hall.

We never did accept tha subserviant woman crapola either.

God, we were bad Witnesses.

Married isn't that bad if you don't think it's a big old Harlequin Romance or think you have to be the other person's suppository. LOL

It's better to marry a friend, too, like I did, because when you get over that initial horny period, you still have things you enjoy doing together, like going to ball games, riding motorcycles, gardening and stuff you'd just be doing with your friends anyway.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Marrying someone your incompatible with..

Adds up to a lot of wasted years..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

I totally agree with everything that everyone said here. I was separated and divorced in '94 and haven't had a boyfriend yet, but not for lack of looking for one. I like my single life with me making my own rules without criticism from another person. I'd still like the companionship of a mate, though.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Lol @ keyser soze ..we always fall out in the supermarkets and then I snog him to embarrass him lol...

Ha ha Mindmelda sounds like you really were bad jws...good on ya...

I agree you have to marry your best friend....and in my case even if he is an atheist ...when you find the 'right' one there's nothing to beat it ...

Loz x

• Heaven
    Heaven

That is a truly sad statement on the part of that couple's marriage.

About 4 years ago, I was shopping for appliances for my new house and a friend of mine (he's a guy) was helping me. The saleswoman was very helpful and knowledgable and with both their help I picked out my washer, dryer, fridge, and stove.

While we were waiting for the paperwork to be done, the saleswoman says to us, "It's so nice to see a couple who get along. So many come in here and just argue about everything."

I didn't have the heart to tell her we weren't married. Maybe there's something to be said for just staying friends.

• blondie
    blondie

Hubby and I have different shopping styles, I like to get it over with and he likes to find a bargain. Over 18 years ago we realized that the loving thing was for me to stay home and not to fight over which can of peas to get.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I used to grocery shop alone, now most times hubby comes with me to get out of the house. I don't often do self scan and we've never had a silly arguement over how to operate said scanner. Not all couple operate that way. When we first married I wanted my hubby wit me all the time, I grew out of that and began to like when we parted to do our own things. Being together almost 24/7 is difficult sometimes but I have my ways to garner alone time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit