If you are living with a partner, is it a marriage?

by Quillsky 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The definitions of partnerships are shifting. Indeed, they are different around the world.

The law doesn't always protect good partnerships that aren't on paper, and sometimes the law protects truly bad partnerships that are on paper. The bible or church doesn't really have a definition of what a lawful "marriage" is.

I propose this..... if you set up home with a partner, you are "wed". You may split up, and perhaps get together with another partner later on. That's like divorce and remarriage, serial monogamy.

I say take religion and government out of the equation, then living with a partner in a committed sexual relationship IS a marriage.

• wobble
    wobble

I don't think Joseph and Mary had a piece of paper from the Roman authorities, they just set up home together when Mary was already pregnant, and yet everybody looks on that as a marriage.

So I think you are Scripturally correct, and all the Dub DFings for living together should be anulled !

Wobble

• dgp
    dgp

I never thought the signature on the piece of paper or the blessing of a clergyman was more important than my own love, care and deep interest in my dear partner. That is what makes me feel like the thing is a marriage. In the same manner, the signature or the blessing don't make marriage any better once the interested parties (carefully chosen words) want out. And I don't think sleeping with someone else should be the only way to recognize that two people would only beget misery if they stayed together.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Living with a partner is living with a partner.

A marriage is a marriage.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

For me, I wouldn't have moved in with him if I hadn't already viewed it as a committed relationship.

For us, the commitment was made long before the actual marriage ceremony.

For the record, I was fine with just living together, but he needed the stability of the marriage. I see the difference in him since we married. If he needed the paper, that's fine with me. I loved him and was committed to him, either way.

• White Dove
    White Dove

In the book, "He's just not that into you." I think that's the title. It said that he's not that into you if he hasn't proposed in 2-3 years. The author bases that on how he feels one should express their undying devotion to their partner. He said that if the guy loves you enough, marriage is naturally the next step. But, he also said that he's not that into you if you guys aren't having sex, so I'm not too sure about his advice.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

White Dove: " so I'm not too sure about his advice. "

Hahaha! Men are a strange species, eh?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yeah, so how can we ever find a good match?

I believe that it is a marriage just living together because you two are TOGETHER. Cookbooks mention the marrying of spices and flavors. They are not brought together legally, rather, they are simply dumped together and their flavors are allowed to blend. No mention of a marriage license anywhere in those cookbooks, yet the food is married.

• dgp
    dgp

I see that women posters have a different view on marriage. I have the feeling that the comment about a man not being that into someone if he hasn't married her after some time deserves some comment.

Women would have it worse if they were left behind with a child. That is why so many want the legal and social obligations that come with the signing of the paper. The sad thing is that so many a man will not become responsible for kids unless there is some form of coercion, and women want that too. So they are more inclined to having the ceremonies. From a male perspective, let me assure you that the piece of paper is looking more and more like an inconvenience, and, therefore, so many do not marry if they manage to share the home with the woman. In their eyes, they already got what they want without the obligations.

Probably the women are also concerned about the status. Some men still make a difference between a woman they would marry (this being the "good one" and a woman they wouldn't. Naturally, a woman wants to be in the "good" group, and it's not just about status, but about determining how the man sees her.

And then, of course, women want to see a tangible "proof" of commitment. I think experience (and the good money divorce lawyers make) are proof of the opposite.

I believe that, in marriage, as in your membership in a religious organization, it should not be coercion or whatever is said through the grapevine that should keep you in. If I love the woman I live with, yes, I am willing to marry her, but that doesn't mean I NEED the piece of paper to do what's in her best interest.

• flipper
    flipper

QUILLSKY- Yes, I'm living with a partner, and yes- it is a marriage. Thanks for asking. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit