John the Baptizer: Mystery and Folklore

by cameo-d 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Doug Mason: "For reasons such as these, some believe that John the Baptist, or someone closely associated with him, was responsible for penning that apocalyptic nightmare, the book of Revelation.

---------------

If you have any information that would substantiate the claim that John the Baptist wrote Revelation, I'd like to see it. It would negate the stories of John's beheading and the account that John the Baptist died before Jesus.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Is John the Baptist the reason that JWs are not allowed to celebrate birthdays? I was told this many years ago by a JW. She said John was beheaded at a birthday party. Therefore birthday parties are not allowed. Perhaps some of you will tell me the logic of that? Is it because WT tells you that birthdays are a bad omen if celebrated? Wouldn't that make it based on superstition?

I believe the traditional story is that Salome danced and the king gave a statement that he would grant her whatever she wished for. Her mother supposedly conned her into asking for the head of John the Baptist.

Another story is that there was a banquet and one of the tarts mentioned that she had never seen a beheading and would like to see one. It was against all that is decent to have done such a thing at a banquet, but the king was rather uncouth. He called for the henchmen and the deed was done, spraying blood all over the table of food.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit