Brother, Sister

by B_Deserter 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• teel
    teel

This thread brought back to me the weirdness of JW talk in my language. My native language is genderless, so there is only one word for sibling. So the JWs usually go the extra mile, and differentiate between "brother" and "sister" by adding a gender suffix to it. It sounds really weird, and it's practically a JW word on its own, noone else uses it - I would never call my flesh sister with that word. It's sort of like saying "sibling", and you have "woman sibling".

But you can't simply use the same word for man and women can you? Unless maybe if the sister has her head covered.

• blondie
    blondie

I have known WT conductors that would say, Brother Soandso, Tim, can you answer that. So he fulfilled the letter of the law but softened it by using their first name.

• yknot
    yknot
    I found that many jws did not know the first names of people at the KH, especially children.

LOL.... I can only think of one (maybe two) who could tell you my 'given' name' and absolutely none who could tell you my maiden name (BTW I have been in this KH since the summer before 2nd grade).

Of my nickname (began using after marriage) and married name.... I say about 30% could accurately tell you both.

I am just 'Sister ExStepfather's Surname' (occassionally .......""Sister ExStepfather's surrname, the other one""'.......because of my sister) ...... I use to protest but gave up when I was 10.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is excessive formality. In a family, first names are used. In a strict formal setting, first names are replaced with a title such as Mr, Mrs, or Miss. Sometimes they use the terms "Your Majesty" or "Your Highness" or "Your Honor". You have probably heard of titles like "President" or "Doctor" with the last name--it is all a show of formality, which to me is nothing more than creating a problem where none exists.

The witlesses treat all the time as if they were worshiping. Besides excessive formality in using the title "Brother" or "Sister" instead of a first name, they are supposed to dress up in full suit at all times. I have heard of people at Beth Hell having to dress up just to cross a damn street--a complete waste of time. Some hounder-hounders will prohibit the wearing of jeans or slacks (for "sisters") at all times, not just at the Kingdumb Hell or while in field circus.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

A cult is a cult is a cult..

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

For a business purpose, someone referred me to a person by the name of Sister Slow. (Not real name)

When I arrived, I addressed her as "Sister Slow" as that was all I had been told. She asked if I was a baptised witness. Puzzled, I said "no". (I didn't know anything much about JWs then.) Then she said, "You cannot call me Sister." She informed me that her first name was "Mighty" and that's what I should call her.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Amazing.....I've been thinking of this very idea alot lately.

Calling each other Brother or Sister is supposed to give you the feeling of family. But families often take advantage of each other and take liberties with each other, that they normally wouldn't with other people.

It was often said in the congos, ( in so many words... ) "Well, others have to make allowances for my shortcomings, because we are all brothers and sisters." Yet they were unwilling to make those allowances for others.

I prefer to think of my fellow humans as "travellers". Because of the scripture about the "narrow road" ( among others ), I view us all as being on a road of sprituality. Yes, bad things happen to some whan travelling, but there still seems to be an "unwritten" rule about travelling, where people are willing to help each other and give advice...."I've been here a couple of times before, here is where you should go, here is the best way to get there.....etc."

We are all at different places along the road....can't we help each other out? I'm grateful for the advice of those who are ahead of me on the road, grateful for the camaraderie of those travelling alongside me and hope to leave nothing that will impede the progress of those travelling behind me.

• stillin
    stillin

I was told that it was a way of showing respect. Talk about an iron fist in a velvet glove.

I always cringed when somebody newly interested was first called upon to answer in the book study or WT as "Brother." I thought "well, that's a stretch..."

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The use of the term has great power to control. I recall sitting at a meal with some other JWs and daring to propose a line of thought that was rather liberal, though still a reasonable interpretation of the Bible. A jumped-up young "elder" at the meal glared at me and said, "That sounds like apostasy, brother." It was a sharp reminder that I was part of the Club and I'd damned well better follow the line.

It used to rankle me no end when, sitting at the weekly Bible Study meetings at someone's house, the conductor would be chatting with everyone using their first names, then he'd call the meeting to order and say, "Brother X, can you read tonight and Brother Y, can you open with prayer?" As if God wasn't watching until we switched to Brother and Sister.

Yes, it's all about control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit