God Created Man Through Evolution

by maputo95 20 Replies latest social current

Soren had an unusual background, didn't he? the fact that he was so religious and in his twenties believed God had cursed his own family because of his father's blasphemy. The shroud of guilt and religious zeal because of this cast a shadow over his formative years. Then consider his black and white views when Renee showed him the door and broke off the engagement - his conclusion was marriage was not going to allow him the freedom to be a prolific writer anyway.

So it's hard for me to give him too much credibility as he was so jaded. Granted he did think a great deal and for that I give him credit. But to turn around and say that because there are gaps in logic then one has to have faith and then use this as a reason to have faith is pretty pointless to me personally.

Existentialists such as Sartre and Nietzsche cottoned onto Kierkegaard's thinking and also pretty much concluded that there are limits to logic and personal choice. The problem is that when you look at it this way then you can justify anything you can dream up.

I guess personally I look at it all this way: I understand and accept the general principles of evolution. However, I do not study it deeply. No. Why? Honestly, it boils down to this question for me every time: So if I accept XXXX as being true then what is the likely outcome (specifically - what is the downside and what is the upside)? In every case if I am asking a question about Faith then the answer will always have to feed on itself and keep creating a framework. Then I have always turned around and said to myself: "OK...but since the framework is all based on an initial leap of faith then its probably all bullshit so I'm not going to waste my time on it". On the other hand if it is not based on faith I generally end up at the principle that "I don't care enough to spend my time, energy and resources finding out more anyway because ultimately I'm a pretty good persona anyway and I enjoy life every day and I accept the probability that there is only one shot at enjoying life any way. Living for some future unknown is crap. It is draining and self defeating. I just want to do my own thing and have freedom to do so. That "thing' generally does not have any room for the concept of a "god" or a religion or a faith.

If I was to accept and religious creed it would probably be Zen and I would focus on the philosophy of centeredness to ensure I have the right focus on the present while not doing any silly stuff to screw up the future.

Make any sense?

BTW, Maputo. I forgot to ask you about your literal interpretation of Sacrifices.

So why dies God need sacrifices if evolution is true? Why the need for Jesus sacrifice?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you read Steve Hassan's books? You'll find some good suggestions in them.

If the Genesis story is mythical, let's also indulge our doubts and ask what other stories in the Bible are mythical?

Dare to doubt!

• maputo95
    maputo95

Avatar. I love your share and this response is the type I was originally after. My problem is that I have limited intellectual ability but a great interest in philosophy and theology. My knowledge is very fragmented but I know that Jung thought a late Catholic doctrine on Mary's assumption matched his own ideas. I love the simplicity of the 12 Steps of AA and I am fascinated by L Ron Hubbard's work although he borrowed from 100s of others. I think I believe in the fact we are souls which occupy bodies and if we can learn philosophy which will improve our lives and others' lives NOW then that philosophy is worth studying. Christ's sacrifice to me is symbolic of the fact that if we lay down the material obsession of life symbolised by the cross-beam of the cross then we can go up spiritually as symbolized by the upright beam of the cross.

What I find untenable about JWs and a lot of other religionists is they believe in ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY and TOTAL CONTROL of their destinies if they follow the WT and the fact they turn a blind eye to all other philosphies and beliefs.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Bottom line is that I, personally believe God, as I understand him, created man through evolution, a belief, I think Teilhard held. I don't think belief in Evolution negates any of my christological beliefs or my belief in spirit, including humans as souls inhabiting bodies.
    So why dies God need sacrifices if evolution is true? Why the need for Jesus sacrifice?

The human body may have developed through evolution, but the human spirit is a special creation from God.

That said, there are many ways of understanding the crucifixion, and Judaic temple sacrifice is only one of them.

BTS

• Terry
    Terry

I am always wary of "ancient wisdom" being chosen by anybody as preferable to the post-Enlightenment age of reason and science.

Exactly what is so wonderful about the best guess of somebody who lived 6+thousand years ago?

Judaism caused otherwise intelligent people to kill animals and pour out their blood so that God would not blame them for the bad things

they had done. Now really!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    If the Genesis story is mythical, let's also indulge our doubts and ask what other stories in the Bible are mythical?

Not just mythical, but how many stories are excuses made by the writers to justify the expansionistic tendacies of the early Hebrews?

Or how many acts were attributed to God to make ancient man fear God so as to control him?

Or how many acts were attributed to God to make him seem in control?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

"God Created Man Through Evolution"

How about Man created God through evolution.

Animals have no sense of self and no idea why we have earthquakes, volcanoes and thunderstorms. As man developed consciousness he sought reasons. He decided that a powerful invisible man was angry and responsible for these phenomena. In time man found there was power to be had by representing this disturbed Being, by now known as God.

Organising people to worship this Being in return for the promise of mercy followed. The evolution of man's consciousness continued until a few brave souls declared that God was a trick. They were tortured to death in an attempt to silence such dissent.

But the evolution of consciousness continued and we now realize that earthquakes, volcanoes and thunderstorms have a predicable scientific cause. How long before the whole human race wakes up to reality?

• maputo95
    maputo95

Well expressed Gladiator. I respect your view, at least we are not Jdub drones.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Thanks - manputo95

BurnTheShips: The human body may have developed through evolution, but the human spirit is a special creation from God.

This is a new one to me. I am trying to be open minded and accommodating with modern Christian beliefs, as they manifest.

As you are so sure, could you give us some idea of when this specially created human spirit, was inserted in man by god? The Bible Say's that this took place at the creation of man but I am sure you will be able to correct this error.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit