Do You Teach Your Kids that They are Sinful, in Need of Redemption?

by leavingwt 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Well, religions that are highly controlling need more than love to keep the butts in the seats and you out slaving away for them.

They need fear. So they tend to emphasize fear more and more.

I don't remember my stint with Witnesses starting out that way, but it sure ended up that way. Towards the end of it a few years ago, it was all dire warnings and such for my state of inactivity and how displeased God was with me and how I was going to die, my children and I, at Armageddon.

Not alot of love there, really. Oh, I got occasional, "We love you and want you back." speeches when I would occasionally go to a meeting, but the it was all conditional on how obedient I was to the WTS.

I guess the final straw for me was being told I could NOT just study the Bible without WTS literature. I asked, "Since when?" as I had been studied with that way back in the 80s and 90s. "WE can't do that anymore, the FDS says we can't."

Screw that, I thought. Straw that broke the camels back there. Imagine, an organization that professes such love for the Bible, and they won't let you study it without "accessories".

I remember when they used to ridicule Catholics for not reading the Bible without a catechism book! Boy, things definitely changed...and not for the better.

(By the way, every time I write FDS, I think of that women's deodorant spray called FDS...LOL.)

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I taught my girls that they are perfect - no need for forgiveness

• restrangled
    restrangled

Magwitch....yes you did and they come damn close

r.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

You are too sweet R!!! Our parents ended up with some damn good grandkids - Isn't it a shame they cannot enjoy them?!?! (and vice vs.)

• restrangled
    restrangled

Magwitch,

Oh I think they enjoy them, they just can't stand the fact they turned out so well without THE religion.....I feel real good about that and I know you do too!

r.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello LWT,

Another interesting thread :)

Interesting, I just asked my 7 year old what sin is as we were chatting and praying at bed time. She gave me a good definition and we thanked Jesus that He came to take away the sin of the world and the free gift He brings to save us. It is Easter after all :) That said, we thank Him pretty often for lots of stuff.

She made a comment about "Good Friday" the other week, saying it wasn't a very good day because Jesus died. I liked her view, but explained although it wasn't good for Jesus it was a good day for us because of why He died. Also after three days He was brought back to life.

The word sin is a biblical one but I think the whole of mankind recognise what it is, wrong doing. However, only the Holy Spirit brings God's perspective regarding sin, the "weight" of it John 16:7-9 He does this out of love, because He wants us freed from the consequences of sin.

Anyhow, it is almost certain that only parents that believe we are sinful and need the Redeemer will teach their kids that. Atheists likely teach their kids atheism, agnostics agnosticism, JWs the truthâ„¢ etc.

Blessings,

Stephen

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The word sin as used in the Bible means simply to err.

We all do that, it's how we learn to improve.

It's the human condition to sin, although it can grieve us at times. I always thought that the idea of that is so simple that some religions needed to twist it into a guilt trip, but that's hardly the message of Christ as I read it.

He basically said not to worry about it, just do your best. And quit beating up other people about it! Forgiveness of both ourselves and others is a very useful life affirming skill. It makes us and everyone else happier and easier to live with.

Simple messages that are workable like this one often get made into something ridiculously complicated and torturous by people who need to twist these things for their own purposes.

• agonus
    agonus

Children? In need of redemption? For... WHAT, exactly? Being their perfect, blameless, innocent selves?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit