Friendship with the opposite sex

by LoriJis 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LoriJis
    LoriJis

I have to ask a personal questions. Do you think it is ok to have a friendship with someone of the opposite sex if you are in a serious relationship or married? Nothing intimate just friendship. Just need other people's opinion.

thanks

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Nothing wrong with it. Just know were you're boundaries are and respect those and make the other person. People are weak sometimes not evil as the Borg would have you think.

• mlj
    mlj

yes, of course, just don't keep secrets from your spouse or significant other. Include your spouse and let him/her be friends also. I am an equal opportunity friender. I need all the people loving/liking/appreciating me that I can get!

• spawn
    spawn

The trouble with these sort of friendships is that people never believes you when you say that there is nothing sexual about it. Others will always think that you are up to something.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Yup as long as you know yourself well enough not to start having feelings for them. When I've told my partner about friendships she's been fine about it although sceptical about the other women - generally thinks they're loitering with intent. I have observed both sexes having friendships with someone who is in a relationship and then jump at the chance to get involved when the relationship ends.

As long as you and your partner are fine about it then all good.

MMXIV

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I cannot see why religion has created a problem in this area where none should have existed. If both parties in the marriage are creating value in the relationship and neither are in a state of stagnation, adultery is not likely to occur. On the other hand, adultery is likely if one or both parties becomes lazy and/or dishonest, the relationship stagnates (which is something the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery is great at doing to people), or the husband is continually acting like a tyrant.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think it's ok. It might lead to a threesome later on.

• IronHill
    IronHill

I think this is an interesting question...and some of the responses have stated that it would be ok as long as both partners were in agreement. What if one feels uncomfortable with the situation?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

My boyfriend is bisexual and I am . . . attracted to women. There are no rules to cover gender and friendships. In a healthy relationship, you can accept that your partner is with you because they choose to be. If they cheat on you either something is wrong with that person or something is wrong with your relationship. To me, arguing that people shouldn't be friends with someone they might possibly be attracted to is analogous to the reasoning Muslims use in covering up their women. The answer to temptation (for healthy individualsl; this doesn't fit for an addictive personality) is not to avoid it at all costs, but to exercise self-restraint.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I don't want to highjack this thread, yet I do need to ask this question:

What is the current WTS position on having a friendship with a chicken of the opposite sex? Does anyone know which way the Society is "leaning" on that policy nowadays?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit