Not Getting Over It! Ex-JWs Face Residual Psychological, Physical Damage

by TMS 44 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I stumbled across this old post in a link from Danny Hazzard's site.

I had to take pause and read it and re-read it. I can SOOOOOO relate to the feelings expressed by most everyone posting. I have many of the same resentments. And, severing everything/everyone just does not seem like a good and practical resolution. All of our family and friends are "IN". Thus, I find myself on the hamster treadmill, as least partially -- the part still "IN".

It seems that there has been a surge in Newbies in recent weeks. I thought this should be bumped for their benefit.

Doc

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I find it all funny in a dark way, we thought to be the lucky ones yet the joke was about us, all the hours preaching, all the bad memories at school, having strong psychological phobias without even knowing, being nice to everyone while being treated like dirt, all for nothing, god was never there and I was part of that joke, then liberated but kicked to the curve with friends I care still in delusion waiting for their god to kill %98.9 of the earth population. I would be lying if I didn't say that I hate the gb, a man with a conviction is a hard man to change they say.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good thread, and so true for so many.

I would advise anybody to get help and therapy if you are not moving forward, and the fact that you are on here, shows that like me, any forward progress has not got very far.

If you are struggling in any way, it is easy for the whole thing to overwhelme you, and you can then be in a dangerous place.

I too did not believe in therapy of any kind, but I know now that I need it, or my life is in danger.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I have been out 25+ yrs, but 'totally out' about 18 yrs. I moved on, thankfully all my children are 'free' from the WTS.

Scars remain. But the scars have become my 'badge' of survivorship. I show my 'scars,' as a cancer survivor does or physically scarred survivor shares what a evil person has done to them. The damaging WTS needs exposure as much as the Nazis what was done to the Jews. (I know what the Jews went through was 'far' more heinous and dramatic, with torture and death). Perhaps, I should not compare at all.

I recently saw a movie "I Have Never Forgotten You" (Simon Wiesenthal) through Netflix recently about a Jew. He survived the Nazi death camps and went on to live the rest of his life in search of ones responsible for the death of so many Jews. Many told him to 'move on,' including Jews. He had a mission, that it had to be exposed, to help that it never happen again, to 'any' ethnic group.

Well, I hope in even my small way to be part of the exposure of the WTS. I think we 'should never forget.'

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

So true! I've been out now for about four years. I'm still trying to figure out what I believe in. I was 33 and felt 18 in the sense that I had to start from scratch.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

TMS: Leaving the JW religion is not like leaving town, quitting a job or getting a divorce, all stressful situations in their own right.

Leaving the JW religion of your own volition is a rejection of your core values, a destabilization of your psychological foundation. If your departure is the result of injustice or oppression from the organization itself, it's not just a matter of rethinking things. You have to erase the blackboard of your life.

I relive my life in my dreams. I angrily react to all of the situations i experienced in JWdom. I relive my entry level job of 30 years. My anger is for things I didn't say, thing's I didn't do. In daytime hours my mind constantly wanders to living my life over again with what I know now. The irony? I allowed JW's to steal my youth and, in a sense steal my last years.

Yes, "Core Values" are crushed! Everything you once believed with conviction, is in question -- or worse, shattered! It's like losing your life-long investments. All our life-long investments in beliefs and way-of-life attitudes and all, but also in (a lesser way) one's financial situation for the balance of one's life. (For many) it's too late to start building a new life with new goals and new directions and new thinking every bit as much as it's too late to start rebuilding the 401K or pension that you were convinced into believing you would never use or need.

There is the shock upon realizing that you, your entire family (spouse, children, parents, etc) are NOT going to breeze on from this "system of things" into the Paradise New World without experiencing sickness or death. For me, this happened when I realized that I will be burying my elderly "believeing" family members -- grandparents, parents, in-laws, etc. They were NOT supposed to get old and die in this system. They have. I WAS NOT supposed to get old and die in this system. I HAVE gotten old. I realize now that I will die. I wonder how. Will it be a slow agonizing death of cancer? Will I lose my mind to Alzheimers and eventually just wither and die months or years later in a nursing home with all my meager assets depleted? (My family history.)

Will I die first or my wife? At one time, we were all thought to be of the privileged "Great Crowd" who would clearly survive Armageddon into Paradise and never see death. We never had to worry about having enough life insurance, or retirement investments, or burial plots. I've gone through that planning with my elderly parents and realize now that these are the decisions I imminently face for my wife and me. How is an uneducated, unskilled, unprepared JW supposed to do all that? (Trust in Jehovah.)

Were they (GB, Writing Dept, Teaching Dept, etc) also deceived? Or were they just lying? At some point did they realize that all of their predictions were BS, but keep publishing the same old cut & paste rhetoric, crossing their fingers and hoping that The Big "A" would come and bail them out on their Fred Franz chronological screw-up? How do you dare admit to 7 million people that you are NOT the God-Inspired Prophet that you claimed/insinuated to be all this time? Yes, how do they dare admit that and prevent THEIR empire from collapsing around them, just as our world has collapsed around us? Simple. They don't!

Doc

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Leaving the JW religion of your own volition is a rejection of your core values, a destabilization of your psychological
    foundation.

TMS, you are so right! It's hard to realize that your whole life was based on lies and all those years were wasted. I feel your pain. No one who has not expeienced this type of life can understand the anger and loss we feel.

I commed you and your wife for choosing your son over the organization. Most JWs don't do that. I admire your wife for confronting those elders.

• panhandlegirl
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Well, I hope in even my small way to be part of the exposure of the WTS. I think we 'should never forget.'

I tell all my good friends about how the organization treats those who choose to leave. I expose them as much as possible. They cannot believe what I tell them. They tell me that they will never welcome any of then into their homes and that they are going to tell them what I have said about them.

• joyfulfader

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit