Did you feel alone amongst the great crowd of JW's?

by highdose 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I first studied I was love bombed™. Once I was baptized I became nothing more than a meaningless statistic that could be ignored. I spent most of my time, especially at assemblies, standing around stupidly watching other people talking with their friends. Why should they waste time talking to me? I was a publisher™ without a title and wasn't related to any "prominent" JWs. It was the lonliest time of my life. I eventually started regular pioneering™ and it was nice to see people once again become aware of my existence. Soon, however, my elevated status as a pioneer™ made me a target for gossip and criticism about my many serious flaws. I was repeatedly counselled for things like biting my fingernails, wearing bright ties, having tinted glasses, and having a moustache. I eventually stopped pioneering™, but the constant bashing continued until I finally publicly put a couple of elders in their place. (just verbally but it was enough)

Things were relatively quiet for the next few years. It was nice to be ignored again. Then I moved to a new hall, where the bashing started again, this time because I occasionally took some part time courses. By this time I had had enough, so I disfellowshipped them and dumped my spouse.

W

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I still never feel like I fit in with anyone . I wonder alot what's wrong with me ?

I have a couple of friends that i enjoy being around and doing things with ,but for the most part I feel alone . I don't think that will ever change . As a witness I extended myself to others as much as I could .I was a shoulder to lean on for many ,but just never felt I had anyone there for me .

I think i learned along time ago not to really trust anyone but myself ,and maybe that's the problem .

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Really depends on the cong. Some cong are cold as ice and the members keep to themselves. Other cong have members who are outgoing and make all welcome. I heard that cong in the sourthern US are easier to make friends than the western US. I found this to be the case comparing Louisiana with California.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I heard that cong in the sourthern US are easier to make friends than the western US.

Hail!

We Southerners are just friendly, nice people.

All of us!

Sylvia

• manicmama
    manicmama

Yes! The only thing on my mind was soon this will be over and we can go to a decent restaurant and get something to drink!

MM

• truman
    truman

I never felt like I belonged among the JWs. I felt alienated and outside all the while I was in. I thought it was me. In a way it was.

• RR
    RR

Personally, I never felt I belonged anywhere. I've always been a loner. I have a small circle of friends, very small, and even then, I probably spend more them with you guys here than I do with them. I don't like crowds, but even in a crowd like a convention or assembly, I can just tune everyone out if I choose to do so.

I am a professed Christian, and as such, I am reminded of the words of the Lord, "My kingdom is not part of this world" and that Christians "are no part of this world", so I feel as if not only do I not belong with a particular group of people, but that I don't belong here PERIOD. It's as if I'm just passing through! I'm not lonely mind you. I'm married with two kids, they fill up my life. I have spiritual fellowship, tons of pet projects. I don't involve myself with what goes on in this world, politics, etc. I render unto ceaser, what is due and go about my business.

Strangely enough, I like the quiet.

RR

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Yes, why did all these people pee themselves over words that I found fatuous and condescending, even at 5 years old?

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

ahh yes.....ever the invisible wallflower. Formerly a social butterfly....although my parents probably only ever "allowed" that because I was a pioneer at the time.

As a single adult living on my own, I've attended two other congregations at different times and even attended my "home" congregation off an on during different moving/living situations.

I found this statement ENTIRELY accurate: "they ignored me once I was no longer one of the team".

For YEARSSS I have struggled HUGELY with the heavy feeling of not belonging or fitting in with these people, knowing I could never be like some of my peers who had already accomplished the "great privilege" of helping out in foreign countries, moving where the need was greater, joining a foreign language group, or attending international conventions, etc. I've always felt less of a christian than those around me and nobody did a thing to prove me wrong. In fact, their actions only encouraged it.

The last year that I was still a JW, I was living with my parents, going through difficult depressions/medication changes/etc. I didn't USUALLY go out of my way to associate at the meetings. I would ride with my parents (which meant usually being the first ones there....awkward) and I would just go and sit in my seat until the meeting started. I found it so stupid that hardly anybody would ever come up to talk to me. If I was a stranger in the congregation, that would be one thing. But I friggin GREW UP with these people! I'd gone from childhood, to teenager, to adult, pioneering for a bit within the congregation even. And yet hardly ANYONE would come say hi to me??? Granted, they always said from the platform that we ourselves should be proactive in associating with people, but I ALSO recall them telling people that if they saw someone just sitting there, they should go out of their way to talk to them.

Some friends. Some spiritual "family".

Even the congregations I was a part of in my independence.....if I wasn't an avid commenter and over-active in the ministry, I meant nothing to them. Which really toys with your emotions and feelings of acceptance when you're like me - someone who goes through phases of being uber-zealous and then inactive. One month I could get auxilliary hours and the next, 2 hours. But if I wasn't doing the auxilliary thing, they didn't give a crap.

grr...ok now I find myself rambling....sorry lol

It's just complete crap. Unless YOU do all the work, you are completely ignored and overlooked. By EVERYONE. Well...at least...that was my experience.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, I have felt alone in the crowd all my life. And especially now, that I don't really believe it anymore. And just as others have mentioned, I feel it most at conventions and assemblies when I'm walking around by myself. And the two congretations I have been in are friendly, but I really feel invisible. I've missed a lot of meetings, and I'm not complaining , but no one called. I think if it wasn't for family, fading would be easy for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit