'Not defiled by women in fact they are virgins' ??

by Heartofaboy 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Can anyone enlighten me what these words at Rev 14:4 means?

This scripture was read at the memorial last night to prove the anointed come from the Earth but the 'Not defiled by women in fact they are virgins' part was glossed over.

• yknot
    yknot

In the WTS this scripture is 'symbolic'

(though Russell took it literally and never consumated his marriage)

Here is the Insight's commentary...

*** it-2 p. 1158 Virgin ***
    Spiritual Virginity. Even as the high priest in Israel could take only a virgin as his wife (Le 21:10, 13, 14; compare Eze 44:22), so the great High Priest, Jesus Christ, must have only a “virgin” as his spiritual “bride” in heaven. (Re 21:9; Heb 7:26; compare Eph 5:25-30.) Hence, the apostle Paul was deeply concerned about the purity of the Corinthian congregation, desiring to present it “as a chaste virgin to the Christ.” (2Co 11:2-6) The bride of Christ is composed of 144,000 spirit-anointed persons who individually maintain their ‘virginity’ by remaining separate from the world and by keeping themselves morally and doctrinally pure.—Re 14:1, 4; compare 1Co 5:9-13; 6:15-20; Jas 4:4; 2Jo 8-11.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That is one of those doctrines where the GB decides for you whether it is literal or symbolic.

In this case it is more like shambolic.

That's why the speaker glossed over it. He didn't want you noticing that he was polishing a turd.

Cheers

Chris

• bohm
    bohm

I think this is an excelent topic for a 'question from the readers' to The Witchtower!

• Heaven
    Heaven

It is scriptures like these, that make me very annoyed and totally turned off of the Bible. The use of the word 'defile' makes it sound like women are dirty.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Thanks Yknot.

I nearly went up to the speaker to ask what this verse meant but decided he probably wouldn't know anyway.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS teaches that means "spiritual" virgins not literal virgins.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Only the 144,000 could learn to sing the song. They were bought from earth, lived without compromise, virgin-fresh before God. MSG

• JWoods
    JWoods

Sorry to say it (if there are bible literalists overlooking), but the Revelation itself is so Hellenistically infused (and reads like a drug trip gone bad) that even some serious bible scholars just overlook parts of it as being non-understandable.

It says something about the Watchtower religion that they manufacture a LOT of their major doctrines from completely arbitrary conclusions drawn from this rambling and practically psychotic document.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Trouble is it the NWT say's 'in FACT' they are virgins.

Seem's odd that 144,000 mentioned in verse 1 is taken as literal & then 'in FACT they are virgins' is taken as symbolic..............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit