Hardly anybody does this, but, INTELLECTUAL HONESTY requires it!

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I work in a used book store in the Religion & Philsophy section and daily have interesting interactions with customers.

The layout of the Religion section is two separate divisions. The fluffy side is Chri-Fi (christian fiction) and christian living books. The meaty side has bibles, textbooks, theology, hermenutics, reference guides, etc.

I keep a sort of mental scorecard going as to who goes where.

I try and ask subtle questions about why each person is looking for a particular item.

I hardly ever run into anybody of a skeptical nature unless they are trying to prove somebody else wrong.

Which reminds me of when I was a good little JW in a bookstore all those years ago...

I'd look up what a book might have to say about the name "Jehovah." But, that's about it! Outside research? Nope!

And to think, I thought I was fair-minded!

All this came to mind when I re-read an old article about a psychologist studying chessplayers. Here is a brief excerpt:

Science secret of grand masters revealed

Mark Peplow

Chess experts gain the edge over opponents by falsifying their own ideas.

"In deciding which move to make, chess players mentally map out the future consequences of each possible move, often looking about eight moves ahead. So Michelle Cowley, a cognitive scientist and keen chess player from Trinity College Dublin in Ireland, decided to study how different chess players decide whether their move strategies will be winners or losers. Along with her colleague Ruth Byrne, she recruited 20 chess players, ranging from regular tournament players to a grand master. She presented each participant with six different chessboard positions from halfway through a game, where black and white had equal chances of winning and there was no immediately obvious next move. Each player had to speak their thoughts aloud as they decided what move to make. Cowley scored the quality of the move sequences by comparing them with Fritz 8, one of the most powerful chess computer programs available. She found that novices were more likely to convince themselves that bad moves would work out in their favour, because they focused more on the countermoves that would benefit their strategy while ignoring those that led to the downfall of their cherished hypotheses. Conversely, masters tended to correctly predict when the eventual outcome of a move would weaken their position. "Grand masters think about what their opponents will do much more," says Byrne. "They tend to falsify their own hypotheses." "We probably all intuitively know this is true," says Orr. "But it's never a bad thing to prove it like this." Strategic thinking The philosopher Karl Popper called this process of hypothesis testing 'falsification', and thought that it was the best way to describe how science constantly questions and refines itself. It is often held up as the principle that separates scientific and non-scientific thinking, and the best way to test a hypothesis. But cognitive research has shown that, in reality, many people find falsification difficult. Until the latest study, scientists were the only group of experts that had been shown to use falsification. And sociological studies of scientists in action have revealed that even they spend a great deal of their time searching for results that would bolster their theories."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The above article reminded me of something Carl Sagan wrote in his book DRAGONS OF EDEN when he referenced what happens

when a religion has its foundational beliefs falsified. His quote speaks for itself:

Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions.
    But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014.' A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth." But they did not. Instead, they did something much more ingenious.
    They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I work in a used book store in the Religion & Philsophy section and daily have interesting interactions with customers.

A used book shop that's big enough to employ people for various section - how great is that!

I sell used books and have been thinking about opening a B&M shop. But all the feedback I get suggests I am better off sticking online.

• sd-7
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Wow Saga hit the nail on the head

• Terry
    Terry

A used book shop that's big enough to employ people for various section - how great is that!

I sell used books and have been thinking about opening a B&M shop. But all the feedback I get suggests I am better off sticking online.

Half Price Books was started in the early 70's. A sort of leftist hippy couple set up their book collection in an old Laundromat. They bought books from the public and resold them.

40 years later it has become enormously successful.

We've apparently driven most of the other mom and pop bookstores (and several chains) right out of business.

Each store employs about 20 people. Each person rotates jobs throughout the day with a permanent section assigned (or more than one section, as the case may be.)

We work 7 hours a day and are paid for 8. We get a free floating holiday each month that lands randomly on the calendar.

We all get profit based bonus quarterly. Every person who works for HPBooks gets exactly the same amount of bonus. (The last one was a thousand bucks!) The company has a funds matching investment program and liberal discounts for employees.

We get free insurance, sick days, lots of vacation and such and are a "green" enviornmentally inclined company.

I think the main reason a used bookstore can succeed where others failed is because Half Price Books got started just at the right time and in the right way to gather momentum.

One bookstore starting out can't really compete with anybody. A multi-store chain has the buying cash to generate such an influx of new materials constantly (our store does about 80 "buys" a day) that you can walk into our store 7 times in a week and it is virtually a different store (stockwise).

That would be impossible to achieve for one store. You are stuck with the stock you start out with and have to be very selective about what you pay for.

I've been with the company for 5 years. A lot of people at my store have been with the company for 15 years or more.

Are we hiring? As new stores open...yes. Old stores don't have much turnover.

• crapola
    crapola

I visit a used book store where I live and just love it. I take my books back and they give me a good discount on whatever I buy. I need to check out the religous section and I also need to see if I can find Steven Hassin's Combating mind control cults. Whatever it's called. Really could use help and I think that book might just do the trick. Do you have that in stock?

• Violia
    Violia

I enjoy the time I spend in half price stores. I like to hang out in the metaphysical area. I always find something to buy. I have taken my kids there too, and they love it as much as I do.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Interesting. I suppose the big worry of working in a shop like that is - Book Worms!

• Terry
    Terry

No... .SILVERFISH!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Science is what people do to avoid lying to themselves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit