Baby Dies at Hands of Babysitters JW connection

by sweet pea 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Three year old killed after weeks of abuse . . .

Baby Ryan's mum was brought up a Jehovah's Witness and gave birth to Ryan when she was 16. Begs the question, what made her go off the rails?

And does anyone know of the Hancox family in the Midlands?

So sad.

• peaches
    peaches

shudder!!!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Shocking. The article doesn't say if the injuries were over a period of time or in just one attack. One assumes the latter as the mother would surely have observed injuries and known something was wrong.

It is easy to criticise after the event but any babysitter - no matter how well recommended could potentially flip - as indeed can some parents. Although these were not registered child carers (£40 would buy you day care for a day not a week). I dare say the mother will have a "life sentence" for having left her child with murderers.

MMXIV

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

A few more details . . .

Makes you wonder where the grandparents were in all of this - couldn't they have lent a hand with looking after Ryan?

I agree with you MMX1V that it's easy to criticise but many people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves how much they played a part in allowing this to happen.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

That has to be one of the most horrible accounts I have ever seen. The abusers were convicted of murder, as well they should have been. Hopefully they stay locked up forever. My heart bleeds for any child made to suffer the way this poor little boy was. Just horrific.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

This is shocking - how could anyone do this to a helpless baby??? This makes me physically ill...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Well, you just never know...the babysitter was a relative who said the bruises were from playing. Having four small grandchildren myself, I can see how that story would be believable. One of them always has bruises, knots on the head, etc., and I know they're not being abused.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Very sad story.

Without knowing more details though, it's hard to say if the JW background had anything to do with it.

om

• xmkx
    xmkx

There very well may have been abuse prior to this but even so one cannot necessarily blame the mother for it with a child that age as (like someone else pointed out) they're constantly getting hurt one way or another since they haven't developed really good motor skills yet nor do they have any of what we would call "common sense". The babysitter could have made up excuses about almost any kind of injury and still be in the believable range. Not really so much with an older child. That's why it is so important to make sure you only leave ones so young with someone you really know and trust like a professional or a close relative (grandparents are always the best and studies have even shown children are slightly safer with them than they are their own parents).

In all seriousness I don't really see why so much focus is on the mother, anyways. No matter how young the mostly likely instinct of a mother is to protect her child from being hurt by others. Usually if a mother is whacko she takes the child out herself instead of conspiring to have others take the child out for her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit