Why is it that abuse is so prevalent among the religious?

by dgp 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Religion itself is abusive. Your present life is devalued in favor of some future reward, and you are supposed to sacrifice something to make it into that "paradise". People see others not making those sacrifices, and part of them is impelled to want that person "saved" at all costs. They are then hounded to join the religion. Of course, you are obligated to bring up your children in that religion so they will not go to hell or die at Armageddon--so they are indoctrinated to believe that natural things are in fact dirty.

This suppression, plus that people are supposed to wait for a decent life, makes it that much easier to abuse other people. This includes pedophiles, as well as physical and verbal abuse. Very common are spankings and beatings, along with threats of the same or hell threats, for doing things that are not really bad for themselves or society. You also see parents making up lies about how these things are bad for them, when they are not. And it is not just children that get abused--nations go to war to keep their religions dominant in their country.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Their are something like 1.5 billion catholics in the world today,with the relevant amount of preists,cardinals etc,servicing their parishiners,their are only 7 million jehovah`s witnesses in the world,with their equivalent elders ministerial servants etc,of course the catholic religion is going to get the full brunt of critiscism because of their size. However I would like to see the{ % ratio} of catholics vs. the jehovah`s witnesses as regards child sexual abuse I wouldn`t be at all surprised that the abuse far outstrips the catholc church with such a comparison{ % ratio }compared to numbers of each group.

Also the Roman Catholic Church is a recognised established religion of approx.2000 years,which people can relate to. while Jehovah`s Witnesses ? A small sect / cult ,as veiwed by the majority of people, with no significance in the religous world. A non entity .

smiddy

• maputo95
    maputo95

Hi.

As a Catholic, I hope justice and closure will be brought into the Church. I hope punishment and compensation will eventuate. Evil is in the Church and hopefully the Church can cleanse itself. I also hope that any false accusations will be exposed if there are any. I am deeply ashamed but must add that I, personally had a wonderful experience of the Church as an altar boy and having gone to an all boys school, I was probably the most naive and innocent young man to emerge from a Catholic childhood. I also went on religious retreats with priests and nuns. One of the priests did cheat in the games of basketball. Is that considered abuse? I would like to thank the Church for my idyllic upbringing and great teachings. No disrespect to the great teachings of other denominations which suit many.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit