Caller ID (reminds me of when I was growing up)

by notreallycloser 5 Replies latest jw friends

• notreallycloser
    notreallycloser

January 10, 2002
    Caller ID ain't for me

By Barry Lewis
    Times Herald-Record
    [email protected]
    I don't need to know who's calling me.

I want to know when I pick up the receiver. But I don't need to know when it's ringing. Or before I say "hello?" There are times when I actually look forward to that ringing surprise. Life seems to offer up so few mysteries, that an unexpected break in a dreary winter's day can lift my spirits.

RRRiiinnnggg!

"Gee, I wonder who's calling me? Think I'll pick up the phone and find out. Hello?" Is that so hard? Are our lives so complicated, so filled with interruptions that we can't possibly wait until we pick up the phone and ask, "hello?" before finding out who's on the line.

Do folks get that many annoying phony phone calls that they need to block what comes in, forcing friends and family to hang up and press *82 before redialing? Want to talk about annoying? A fine fellow from Verizon explained that the popular "Caller ID" will allow me – for just $7.97 a month (plus an additional few cents to handle some taxes) – to reject any anonymous calls. "It purifies all calls coming in ... and filters out the nonsense calls," said my man from Verizon.I wasn't sure if he was offering me "Caller ID" or a room humidifier.

Folks who have Caller ID marvel at its convenience. That's because they don't have to keep redialing their own number. I should call you twice because you need to know who I am? I don't have time to waste. What do I get for my troubles?

I bring all this up, because I was forced to "identify myself" when calling Mom in Brooklyn. Mom gets three calls a week, almost all from her sons. Yet she's got Caller ID, Call Waiting and Dual Call Waiting Caller ID display. She spends more time trying to figure out who's calling her than she does talking on the phone with the person. "Why do you need Caller ID?" I asked the woman who admits the mute button on her remote gives her trouble. "So I know who's calling me." The only reason this woman needs Call Waiting, is so she can yell at two sons at the same time, wondering why they don't call her enough.

There was a time when making anonymous calls was as much a part of growing up as putting baseball cards in the spokes of your bike. Of course we didn't know they were anonymous. We just didn't know whom we were calling. I'm not talking about any, "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" or "Is your refrigerator running?" stuff. That lacked creativity, spontaneity and most importantly, believability.

We took pride in our anonymous calls:"Hello ... is this Mrs. Rabinowitz who lives in Brooklyn, New York?" "Uhh ... yes." "Mrs. Rabinowitz ... this is Bob James from Music Radio 77, WABC. We picked your name out of a hat ... you'll have 30 seconds to answer a question and receive $25,000. Are you ready Mrs. Rabinowitz? We could hear a flustered Mrs. Rabinowitz yelling to anyone around to grab an extension, grab a book or grab her before she fainted. We all took turns making these calls. The person who did the talking was the one whose voice hadn't cracked that week. Surprisingly, no one ever won the $25,000. Rhodes scholars couldn't answer these questions.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Rabinowitz ... you were so close. We were looking for a different 5th century B.C. Greek philosopher. But for just playing you'll receive a pair of Ginzu knives, a transistor radio and a Music Radio 77, WABC bumper sticker." Looking back, I'm not proud of what I did. I think the consolation prizes could have been better. Just think about how many adolescents would have been deprived of creative growth if they would have been forced to identify themselves before making the call.

Who knows what trouble Caller ID would cause. "I'm sorry Mr. Bell ... Mr. Watson is not accepting private calls. Please hang up, dial *82 ... "

Barry Lewis is Sullivan County editor for the Times Herald-Record. He can be reached at 794-6711 or at [email protected].

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I have caller ID where I am now, mainly because I carried it over from my previous number when I lived in another state. I had it there largely because of the enormous number of telephone solicitors who called me. I would get home from work around 6:00 p.m., and it was not unusual to have 6 or 7 solicitors call before I went to bed. Of course, caller ID didn't prevent the calls, so I took another tack, answering the calls and firmly telling the solicitors to take me off their calling list. That seemed to work, because the number of calls dropped greatly once I did that.

Caller ID was also helpful whili I was going through my divorce; there were times I didn't feel like talking with certain people.

It's also helpful because it shows you a list of whoever called while you were away, even if they didn't leave a message.

And, I understand that some here have used it as a way of avoiding unwanted contact from JW elders who were harassing them.

So, I do think caller ID has its place as a tool in these days of modern times.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Caller ID rocks! I know when Mark is caling and can ignor him.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I like having caller ID. I am sick of telemarketers talking to me, so that is no longer a problem. And speaking of which, one just tried to call me.

Is this a light saber in my pocket or am I just happy to see you?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I have caller id too! I just liked the story :o)

I also have an unlisted number - when telemarketers call - they don't have my name or anything. I start asking them the following questions. If they answer "no" to any of the questions, they are violating federal law (in the US) and I may be owed $500 to $1500!!!

1. Could you tell me your full name please? And a phone number, area code first?

2. What's the name of the organization you're calling for? Does that organization keep a list of numbers it's been asked not to call?

3. I would like my number(s) put on that list. Can you take care of that now?

4. Will your company keep my number on its do-not-call list for at least ten years? And does your company have a written policy that says that on paper?

5. Can you send me a copy of it?

I got these from a newspaper article.

closer

• picosito
    picosito

The only drawback to Caller ID I've experienced is when the call is from UNKNOWN CALLER or BLOCKED CALL. Sometimes it's a friend, but usually some Outer Space Disk Jockey doing a digital recording of my breathing pattern (no one answers when I say Hello) so it can be used against me somehow later by SomOne or SomeThing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit