Active JW prince - not paying Caesar's things to Caesar

by Gopher 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

The most well-known JW musical artist is Prince. For some reason he owes hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxes to the county, the school district, the state of Minnesota, and many others.

Maybe he believes the "old system" is ending soon so it doesn't matter anyhow?

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/89037347.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

County puts Prince on notice: Pay bundle you owe in taxes

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

Last update: March 24, 2010 - 2:57 PM

Carver County says that Minnesota's Purple One is in the red -- and it's not the first time.

Prince owes hundreds of thousands of dollars in back taxes, interest and fines on various properties that could end up being forfeited if the bills aren't paid.

PRN Music Corp., home to the pop musician's Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, owes more than $221,000 for 2009 taxes due the state, the Chaska School District and a host of other government bodies, according to a legal notice of delinquent taxes published last week in the Chaska Herald.

Numerous other properties in the county associated with Prince by his full name, Prince R. Nelson, also are on the delinquency list. Dollar totals range from about $268 to roughly $180,000.

No other property owner listed comes close to what the county says Prince needs to cough up.

Conceivably, property on last week's list could be forfeited, but that would be a few years down the road, said taxpayer services manager Laurie Engelen.

As required, the county sent Prince a notification letter on Feb. 15 about the delinquencies, Engelen said. She said she and others are unaware of Prince responding to either the letter or the published list.

Prince has been late other times paying his tax bill, Engelen said. On the studios, the bill was paid late in 2006 and 2008. He also was late in 2008 paying on a 156-acre swath bordering his home.

Representatives for Prince could not immediately be reached for comment.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Well, now!

• tec
    tec

Prince is a JW?! That shocks me way more than him constantly being late on taxes. I mean, aren't his songs and videos a little racy for a JW?

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

He'll get a free pass on it like he always does.

• drzhivago73
    drzhivago73

Maybe he should have switched to voluntary contributions for all his concerts and albums ...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Fo rthose who don't know Prin ce married a JW and they lived together in Toronto and yes he went out door to door.

On December 31, 2001, Prince married Manuela Testolini in a private ceremony, but she filed for divorce in May 2006. If I am correct she was a JW.

Prince became a JW in 2001 following a two-year-long debate with friend and fellow Jehovah's Witness, musician Larry Graham. He attended meetings and occasionally knocks on people's doors to discuss his new faith. He has reportedly needed double-hip-replacement surgery since 2005 but won't undergo the operation unless it is a bloodless surgery because Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept blood.

I thought his music got rather tame for a while and he had to fulfill some contracts after he became a Jw but recently he has revved up the music career and I wonder if he is still a JW especially since he and his wife divorced

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

One of Mrs Thirdson'a friends has a house bordering the Prince Rogers Nelson wildlife preserve, as she calls it -- the property Prince used to have a house on but was razed. It's no longer a homestead.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

just found this which makes me wonder

In the fall of 2001 he released the controversial Rainbow Children, a jazz-infused circus of sound trumpeting his conversion to the Jehovah's Witnesses that left many longtime fans out in the cold. He further isolated himself with 2003's N.E.W.S., a four-song set of instrumental jams that sounded a lot more fun to play than to listen to. Prince rebounded in 2003 with the chart-topping Musicology, a return to form that found the artist back in the Top Ten, even garnering a Grammy nomination for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance in 2005. http://www.answers.com/topic/prince-rock-musician-funk-musician

• Gopher
    Gopher

Last I heard he was still an active JW, although now living in California and no longer married to Manuela.

Check out this story from June 2009 in the Washington post, "Prince Hips the World to His Jehovah's Witness ways".

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/06/prince_hips_the_world_to_his_j.html

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

he will probably be unqualified to handle the mics at the kh because of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit