Asteroid and the end

by Celia 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

http://www.msnbc.com/news/586894.asp?pne=msn

Wow ! It could have been the end of the world as we know it...
    Why do they take France as an exemple ?
    Why not Afghanistan and iraq combined could have been wiped out !

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Sorry, were you trying to be offensive?

Or was that a joke in really bad taste?

Whilst you might have some beef against some political or religious leaders in Iraq or Afghanistan, I am sure you don't want an asteroid to drop on the poor oppressed, typically rather ignorant and deprived people of the country.

Oh, and if an asteroid that big hit, there would be major impacts on the weather worldwide, quite possibly for a number of years.

Be careful what you wish for...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• LB
    LB

My newspaper said the asteroid could take out Texas. Hmmm, not sure that will make people feel any better. Aren't there some fun pagans down there?

Abaddon while Celia may have made a fairly unpopular joke, it was a joke. But you referred to the people of those countries as ignorant. They might find that just as offensive.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Celia
    Celia

No, I was not trying to be offensive. Sorry it came out the way it did...
    Why did they choose France as an exemple ? because of the size of the country I guess, because France is about the size of Texas and they give Texas as an exemple too.
    I don't wish such catastrophe onthe people of Afghanistan or Iraq, they suffer enough already.
    And as you say, the weather could be altered for years to come, so the whole world would suffer, and life as we know it would cease to exist...
    But the JWs tell us that God will not allow such destruction of the earth to happen...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Celia; One of my best friends growing up was a Pharsee, and I thought I'd ask what you meant, as sadly, some people would have been serious about that.

What background do you have with the JW's?

LB; Ignorant is an entirely appropriate word, especially as contextually it was obvious I was not using the word as an insult;

Ignorant (adjective)
    1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
    2 : UNAWARE, UNINFORMED

synonyms; ILLITERATE, UNLETTERED, UNTUTORED, UNLEARNED mean not having knowledge. IGNORANT may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing <an ignorant fool> <ignorant of nuclear physics>. ILLITERATE applies to either an absolute or a relative inability to read and write <much of the population is still illiterate>. UNLETTERED implies ignorance of the knowledge gained by reading <an allusion meaningless to the unlettered>. UNTUTORED may imply lack of schooling in the arts and ways of civilization <strange monuments built by an untutored people>. UNLEARNED suggests ignorance of advanced subjects <poetry not for academics but for the unlearned masses>.

Obviously, there is a spectrum of knowledge in both such countries, but I think most people's (especially women's) level of education in Iraq and (especially) Afghanistan is rudimentary enough to describe them as ignorant, purely as an observation, not as a criticism.

Your point is valid though LB, and taken well.

8-)

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Flip
    Flip
    But the JWs tell us that God will not allow such destruction of the earth to happen...

Which could be a source of concern because other than finances, the WTBTS record of speculation and prediction has always been in error.

Flip

• Celia
    Celia

I should have added a wink after what I said about the JWs telling us that God would not permit the earth to be destroyed by an asteroid or anything for that matter...

• rhett
    rhett

Anyone ever heard of Tunguska? Huge explosion in Siberia in the early 1900's. The whole world was without darkenss for a few days as sunlight was reflecting the dust in the atmosphere. Not only that but if had come down about a thousand miles away Moscow wouldn't be around any more. The power of that explosion was way greater than any of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan. This isn't some obscure thing that we just read could happen. It does and will almost definitely happen again.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit