Were You Embarrassed When Someone "at the door" Knew More About the Bible Than You Did?

by BabaYaga 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sd-7
    sd-7

I think the mindset you're in when you believe it tends to convince you that that's not possible--even if the householder knows more than you, he or she can't know more than "the Society".

But I do admit, running into an atheist guy who had his thoughts in order and presented them quite rationally left a big impression on me. I felt totally unprepared because I realized, I've not researched any of these issues. All I've got is the Reasoning book, which quotes from other outside books that I've never read for myself. How do I know it's right? In the back of my mind, I wanted to find the books quoted by the Reasoning book. This, I eventually did. Here I am.

• bohm
    bohm

sd-7: Just curious, what kind of stuff did he talk about?

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

yup...sd-7, I'd like to know what he said and talked about that impressed you...

• wobble
    wobble

I met a guy who was a great scholar, he pointed me towards some other great scholars, Professor F.F Bruce of Manchester University for instance (no longer with us of course) and others.

I began to realise then that the Societies "scholarship" was sadly lacking, and I equipped myself with Bible knowledge from these excellent commentators, and gave really insightful talks and answers.

Strangely it took many years before I finally woke up. But that guy put me on the path, I shall be forever grateful.

The other guy I met who was more than a match was a Cof E vicar who unfortunately decided to try to prove the trinity to me, he was good, using arguments I had never heard before, and I had crossed swords with many Trinitarians, but the pity of it was that of course you cannot prove the trinity from the N.T, it ain't there. ( please don't , all you who believe it, hi-jack this thread, I don't have an argument with you, but it ain't in the N.T) So despite his kindly efforts, I still did not wake up, if only he had chosen something he could prove !

They were the only two I met in 51 years of preaching who could give me a run for my money. I don't think this shows how well JW's know their Bible. they don't, it just shows the paucity of bible knowledge in the other religions.

Love

Wobble

• EverAStudent
    EverAStudent

wobble wrote: "I don't think this shows how well JW's know their Bible. they don't, it just shows the paucity of bible knowledge in the other religions."

Amen and Amen. And the lack is only getting worse as Bible knowledge is increasingly marginalized and ridiculed by society in general (i.e. only fanatics and loons actually believe what is in the Bible)...sigh...

• Chalam
    Chalam

Cool thread BY!

The only experiences I have from the other side of the fence, witnessing to the Witnesses â„¢ that arrived at my door. From what I found they knew the bible quite well but had zero spiritual insight as to what it meant and instead had their heads filled with the WT garbage.

They caught me out once or twice but overall I am sure they had many more difficult questions to answer than they ever left with me.

That said, I agree with darth frosty, largely they thought I was on the right lines would eventually come to accept The Truthâ„¢ or just "stay deceived by false religion" :(

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit