ChuckD

Another article on the same subject;

http://www.theness.com/articles/brain-nejs0201.html

• cellomould
    cellomould

Good one John,

let's keep this one at the top!
    cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Still, I don't quite find that this covers the point 100 % (or should one say 10 % in this connection?). I doubt if anybody anytime has believed that 90 % of the brain just lies waste, waiting for something to happen; it would die off during the waiting time. The question as I have always understood it, is whether we use the brain to the edge of its capasity. When I drive my car at 10 mph, I use the whole car, but I could drive at 100 mph, it's just that somehow I don't manage to let my foot be heavy enough ...... (I am stunned at my own illustration here - but I guess some sly guy will soon nullify it ......). So does the article really answer the challenge?

• cynicus
    cynicus
    *** w85 1/15 16-17 A Government That Accomplishes What Man Cannot ***

The mind has a huge potential for learning, even in man’s present imperfect condition. But this is only a fraction of what it will be able to learn in the New Order, where sin will not block its functioning. In The Brain Book the author states: “Within our own heads lies one of the most complex systems in the known universe. Its power and versatility far surpass that of any man-made computer.” He adds: “It is frequently stated that we use only 10 percent of our full mental potential. This, it now appears, is rather an overestimate. We probably do not use even 1 percent—more likely 0.1 percent or less.”

It is interesting that the Watchtower has no problem in explaining this supposed inhibited brain function: a human does this himself since he is sinning! And the initial 10% wasn't enough for the boys in writing and they could get it down to one tenth of a percent. But 10 years later things get better:

*** g95 10/22 8 Designed to Live Forever ***

Neuroscientists say that during our present life span, we use just a small part of our potential brain power, only about 1/10,000, or 1/100 of 1 percent, according to one estimate. Think about it. Is it reasonable that we would be given a brain with such miraculous possibilities if it was never to be used fully? Is it not reasonable that humans, with the capacity for endless learning, were actually designed to live forever?

No references this time, but they diminished our brain power once more by an order of magnitude!

An interesting statement comes from the more skeptical minded:

One reason this myth has endured is that it has been adopted by psychics and other paranormal pushers to explain psychic powers. On more than one occasion I've heard psychics tell their audiences, "We only use ten percent of our minds. If scientists don't know what we do with the other ninety percent, it must be used for psychic powers!" ...

The most powerful lure of the myth is probably the idea that we might develop psychic abilities, or at least gain a leg up on the competition by improving our memory or concentration.

http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

By attributing this myth to human sin the Watchtower tries to enhance the 'reward' or 'the prize', when according to them there is no more sin. They also use it in the context to explain away some of the objections against everlasting life, such as a per definition limited brain potential which is likely incompatible with infinities of any kind, especially time.

---
    Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

cellomould

I am interested in how you knew my name is John?

UO

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Uncle Onion - it is in your profile :o)

closer

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

ChuckD: The link doesn't seem to work.

-------------

I always took this to mean that we only use 10% of our brains potential, not 10% of our brain matter.

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• anewperson
    anewperson

Interesting

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

FP;

I discovered that the link I added is also at the bottom of the page brought up by the original link, so you can get there that way as well.

Chuck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit