Do you add water to the soup ...

by compound complex 13 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

or, as Erma Bombeck used to do, add noodles, to extend any dish?

How do you make a meal go further?

Thanks.

CC

• snowbird
    snowbird

CoCo.

I add oats to my cornmeal - really adds more bulk and fiber.

Lots of onion, garlic, and green pepper to fish when I saute it - tastes good over brown rice and whole wheat pasta.

Skim milk, red pepper, grated mozzarella cheese to eggs make them go farther.

Apple cider vinegar added to low-sodium tomato juice will make a gallon last twice as long.

Rutabagas and turnip roots added to cabbage or collard greens give them a good boost.

Hey, my mother didn't raise no fool!

Sylvia

• linp24
    linp24

Snowbird,

If we all ate as you suggest above, we would not have to be taking all those statin drugs, high pressure medications, etc. We would all be healthy. Wish I were a guy and married to you.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Gee, thanks, Sylvia! Great tips, especially that on apple cider vinegar. I, likewise, add fixins' to my eggs as well as oats to my hamburger to extend and fluff it up a bit.

Many thanks, Ms. Nobody's Fool!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, too, linp24 and a belated welcome to the board.

You're absolutely right about being healthier. I use cayenne pepper everyday. It helps keep the arteries clean, so I've read. Can't get past the sneezing part, however!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lin, I had no choice but to start eating healthier - my blood pressure readings have been off the charts!

CoCo, I forgot about the hamburgers.

Though, it's mostly my g-kids who eat them.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I use cayenne pepper everyday.

I went out and bought some that had been reduced to $.92.

For some reason, my pepper plants refused to grow last year.

Sylvia

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Coco....."make a meal go further" I use the POW method.....eat less, and a bowl of soup can last a week!!! We use a stock called "VEGETA" which makes everything taste better.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Hi Coco! Long time no see.

If I am using pan drippings or stock to start my soup, I first refrigerate it so I can skim off the fat. Then, of course I will add water when I make it into soup broth. If you add too much water, then I would suggest to slightly increase your seasonings. I find that celery and sage go a long way in adding flavor to most soups. Or add a boullion cube.

I usually start a soup base by caramelizing onions; some recipes I just saute the onions and celery, then gradually add other vegetables, saute, make a rue, then gradually add the stock/water.

I hate canned soups. Most are now either too salty or too sweet. These companies are trying to kill us with the fructose and sodium. Even basic tomato soup has been bastardized with sugar sugar.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Even basic tomato soup has been bastardized with sugar sugar.

Amen and amen!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit