If there is a multiverse. Could JW teachings be right somewhere else?

by The Finger 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Finger
    The Finger

"The trouble is that in an infinite multiverse, everything that can happen will happen - an infinite number of times" (NewScientist mar 2010)

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

No. Certainly not in a universe where A=A.

That universe self-destructs from a lack of internal coherence before it gets very far.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The Multiverse theory is just moving the question as to its Originator one step backwards, so in stead of asking who is the Originator of the Universe, the question is who is the Originator of the Multiverse.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

TOH

The Multiverse theory is just moving the question as to its Originator one step backwards...

I agree, I also think the "Multiverse theory" requires more faith to believe in, than God.

• teel
    teel
    everything that can happen will happen

Assuming multiverses, you still have that nagging "can" word there. As long as JW teaching often contradicts itself, there can't be a universe where it's right.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I would say in Bizarro World, but.......WT world is already Bizarro World.

Think About It

• dandingus
    dandingus

I was having a related conversation with a friend of mine recently.

Quantum Mechanics does weird things to our understanding of space time, as does causality and entropy. The idea is that everything that can happen does happen (at least on the quantum level). Is the electron here or there? Well the answer is both/neither until you observe it.

This also crosses into Parallel Universe theory, where there is an expression of existence out there somewhere wherein every possible outcome of a situation plays out. Do I put on white socks or grey this morning? Do I marry her or break up with her? Somewhere there is a universe where I am married with 2 kids, somewhere there is a universe where I'm still a bachelor, somewhere there is a universe where I'm dead, etc.

But your question was basically: "is there a universe where the Watchtower teachings are right?" I would say that depends on your definition of "right" as well as your understanding of God and how he/she/it relates to the universe/multiverse.

Quantum possibilities of "anything" happening only apply to matter and energy as expressed in our physical existance. Did God create the universe? Or does God exist inside of our universe? If he exists within it, as an expression of energy, is there a universe where there is no God? If so, how did the universe come to be?

If God exists outside the universe/multiverse and our understanding of space-time, then God's existance (and personality one would assume) is not subject to alterations based on quantum uncertainties. In this case, is God's existance and personality an absolute? Or has he/she/it changed over time, altering to suit the occasion in a similar way to how we grow as individuals, albeit on an infinitely greater scale?

The reason I'm bringing all that up is that for a certain teaching of the Witnesses or any other religion to be "right" means that the teaching is an accurate representation of both the form and character of God. And that their interpretation of his personality and motives as well as what his actions have been related to be are all accurate. That's a pretty tall order. It's by no means impossible. But the nature of God, the nature of time, the nature of the universe, and cause and effect are all at the heart of any teaching about these things being "right".

To say that there is a universe where the teachings of the Witnesses are right, first of all implies that they are wrong in this one. But it also assumes that God changes from one universe to the next. Otherwise how could they be "right" in one, but "wrong" in another?

I would also submit that for any teaching to be "right" it should also hold up under scientific scrutiny. After all, what is science but an attempt to understand what is? And if a thing IS, was it not God who caused it to be? Therefore in my mind, True science and True religion are different expressions of the same thing.

Those are my thoughts on the matter, for what they're worth...

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I am totally not touching this thread.

• dandingus
    dandingus
    I am totally not touching this thread.

Well you're welcome to, certainly. Or not. Either way. Of course, if you believe in parallel universes, there's a universe out there where you did "touch" this thread.

• wobble
    wobble

Dandingus,

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. There as as many ways of answering this question as there could be universes, I fear.

It is simply a huge problem for me to believe that the total opposite of our universe should exist and function.

And that is what you would need for WT/JW teachings to be correct somewhere else, black would have to BE white, light would have to BE dark, and so on.

Their teachings are such crap that I don't believe that even if there are many universes they actually stand up anywhere.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit