RUSSIA: Raids, literature confiscations and criminal case in Tambov--first such reported home raids against them since the Soviet era--Forum 18 News Service reports

by cattails 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

We expect the government to shut down fringe cults that have children married off to the leaders.
    Well, the JW's are dangerous to children, perhaps just as much in the long term.

But in the case you reference, the persons who had endangered the children were arrested for their specific actions, not necessarily for their beliefs. Moreover, anyone, whether extremist Mormon or not, who married a child for whatever reason, would suffer the same consequences. It sounds like these arrests in Russia were made purely for having the WT and AW on the premises. I think there's an important difference. Legal repercussions should be on the basis of activity, not beliefs, whether in print or spoken. This is an integral part both of free speech and freedom of worship, something with which Russia has a long and troubled history. If Russian authorities have concerns over whether JW's break up families or whether children are dying b/c of the blood issue, then these specifics should be addressed through the appropriate legal structure, not through totalitarian harassment of private citizens.

As another poster noted, who's next? Actions like these in Russia are all too often the harbinger of harsher oppression against all kinds of groups who happen to be out of the mainstream. Violations of human rights are violations of all our rights, no matter where it happens and no matter whether we happen to share a belief system or not.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ recently had a tract campain..Attacking the Russian Government..

The WBT$ "USED" Jehovah`s Witness`s to deliver those tracts...

Now the Russian Government is confescating WBT$ literature..

Good!!..

It`s time the WBT$ Government,faces the Consequences of a Politcal War..

The WBT$ Government "STARTED",against the Russian Government..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

3 cheers for Russia!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Cadellin

"It sounds like these arrests in Russia were made purely for having the WT and AW on the premises."

Reading anything shouldn't be against the law, but, maybe they should arrest or fine them for "Intent to Distribute."

• choosing life
    choosing life

Jehovah's Witnesses are not well thought of in many countries in both Eastern and Western Europe. These countries tend to not tolerate 2 things. One is the blood issue and the other is the shunning issue. I can't say I am sorry that they see it that way.

If you could change 2 things in the witness world, what would they be? Blood and shunning would have to be among the top few, for most. Pedophilia has to be up there too, or the way they handle it.

The only ones I feel sorry for are the children. The worry they put on them is horrible. The article mentions a child begging for their parents not to be taken away. I am sure they discuss this with them ahead of time as a need to be faithful to Jehovah. Sickening.

Let them read the Bible. They don't need anything else, as they claim to be Bible based. It reminds me of the statement that if a person read only the Bible and not the Watchtower, he would return to mainstream Christian doctrines. I can't remember who said it, Russell maybe?

I am for freedom, but for everyone, not just one religion. They want 2 sets of rules. They want to break up families and abuse the right of individuals to freely choose how they will worship, but cry out when anyone calls them out on it.

• undercover
    undercover

Outlaw has a good point...

I forgot about that tract campaign. While that tract wouldn't raise eyebrows over here, it was a bit much for a country that isn't that far removed from communism. The WTS set themselves up for being treated as disruptive with this campaign. Not too smart, if you've been paying attention at all...

Sometimes I think the GB really thinks they are speaking for God when they do some dumbshit move like this, thinking they're protected somehow. Maybe Legal doesn't have as much say on things as we thought for you know that a sharp lawyer would have stopped them from mouthing off before it was too late.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

the statement that if a person read only the Bible and not the Watchtower, he would return to mainstream Christian doctrines

That was from the 8/15/1981 WT:

" They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25!"

Sometimes I think the GB really thinks they are speaking for God when they do some dumbshit move like this, thinking they're protected somehow. Maybe Legal doesn't have as much say on things as we thought for you know that a sharp lawyer would have stopped them from mouthing off before it was too late.

I disagree. This reaction by the Russian government IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT, LAWYERS INCLUDED.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sometimes I think the GB really thinks they are speaking for God

when they do some dumbshit move like this, thinking they're protected somehow

.....Undercover

Your absolutely right UC.....The fact is.....The WBT$ is protected..

Who is going to take the Abuse,for one more WBT$ Shithead Decision?

Not the WBT$..

Jehovah`s Witness`s will be the ones to suffer..

While the WBT$ GB enjoys the Comforts of their Throne in Bethel..

In a country far far away from all the trouble..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• tec
    tec

Do elders or members of the governing body ever get arrested or persecuted? Do these members ever come to the defense of the regular JW's? Because in the New Testament, Paul was flogged, persecuted, imprisoned, and possibly executed for proclaiming Jesus Christ. As was John and Peter and all the other apostles and disciples. They did not get any safe or preferential treatment.

Also, does anyone have some of the tracts that attacked the Russian gov't? Just curious as to what they said.

Tec

• Scott77
    Scott77

I believe public exposure of their destructive, divisive and anti-family teachings and doctrines are the best weapon that the Russian Govt can do.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit