New book: "Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk"

by Gopher 12 Replies latest jw friends

• mutinyinheaven
    mutinyinheaven

xjw4evr, you're right on the money re: the title.

and the publishing world, after the novel is written and book deal is signed, is very marketing oriented. they did ask for a small change in the title, which i fully accepted because it was better than the original.

i'm teaching a class on publishing vs. writing on april 6th if anyone is in the san francisco area.

• xjw666
    xjw666

I've just read this and recognise so much of my own experiences in growing up in the cult until I finally broke away a couple of years before I was due to fry in Armageddon of 1975, along with all my worldly friends. Although titled as fiction, the author obviously has personal knowledge of the life. Lot's of things made me laugh out load - but the last chapter bought back some of the anger I felt after reading Crisis of Conscience..

Oh yeah - all the references to demons - my brother (now dead) had chronic asthma probably aggravated by the stresses and tensions of it all. My parents decided that the expensive furniture passed on by a relative was infested with demons and threw it out.

What a crazy way to live.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I've said it before but it's worth repeating: this book is a must-read!

Kyria's book was good, but there were complaints on this board that she fit the negative stereotype of what JWs say will happen to you if you leave the WT.

The fact that Tony's book points the way to "Crisis" is very important for young JW readers, too.

But I don't mean to slag on Kyria because the fact that both of these books are out there at all is huge for youngsters growing up in this cult.

I've been debating whether to donate my copies to the high school library to help out the JWs who go there or keep them for my kids.

Oh, and yes, I don't really care for the title, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit