What I've found here

by paul from cleveland 31 Replies latest jw friends

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I originally came here to find proof that the Witnesses don't have the truth. I was so afraid of being destroyed at Armagedon.

I didn't really find the convincing proof I was looking for.

What I did find, however, is the love and total acceptance that I hadn't felt before. To me, that's more important.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You may not have found the proof here but surely you've found great suggestions on where to find it. Any of Terry or Leolaia's posts, jwfacts.com, Ray Franz's books, and the list goes on.

This forum is more for discussion ABOUT those proofs, as well as support and camaraderie, than it is about distributing those proofs.

And yes, the support and camaraderie are as important, if not more so, than the intellectual proofs. You really only need the intellectual proofs if you plan to use them to help explain to others. Otherwise, it is good enough to just KNOW that the WT is a con that has outlived its original artists without needing to be able to explain why.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, that is a good thing!

Perhaps you have also noticed that the entire JW armageddon chronology has failed multiple times in the past, and has many illogical errors all through it?

Not much to be afraid of on that account, IMHO.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"But it's coming SOON!"

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I didn't really find the convincing proof I was looking for.

Facts are helpless when confronted with the Power of Belief.

If the JW's are right, you must immediately stop visiting this site. We are the Table of the Demons. We will mislead you and you could miss out on everlasting life. Armageddon is so close. Do not allow Satan to snare you at this late hour. Only within the protection of Jehovah's "ark" will you find true friends and everlasting salvation. If Jesus were in your home, would you visit this site, as he looked on? When one questions the spiritual food being served by God' organization, one demonstrates a compalining spirit. Satan has transformed himself into an angel of light. He makes the evil things of this world -- like this site -- appear to be something good. Some brothers have found that placing their computer in a public room and only going online while other family members are present to be a good deterrant from viewing things which Jehovah abhors. Merely dabbling with apostate information could bring reproach upon Jehovah's name and could cause Jehovah to withold his spirit from your local congregation.

Paul, think about all that rubbish I wrote above. I don't think you believe any of that. I don't think you believe the Bible ever mentions the date of 1919. WT offers one road for survival: blind submission.

Keep reading, keep asking questions, NEVER fear the pursuit of Truth!

• Farkel
    Farkel

:I originally came here to find proof that the Witnesses don't have the truth. I was so afraid of being destroyed at Armagedon.

:I didn't really find the convincing proof I was looking for.

Where's your "convincing proof" that Jehovah's Witnesses are the one and only true religion? There is no need for anyone to have to prove Jehovah's Witnesses wrong. Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who make the extraordinary claims of sole guidance from God. Therefore, THEY are the ones who need to present the extraordinary evidence of such claims.

Where is it?

Farkel

• yknot
    yknot

I think part of you isn't 'ready' ........ and that is okay! We all have our own pace!

However since you have brought up the WTS having the 'truth'........ it begs for you to answer what is the 'truth' of the WTS?

Try to find the answer that reflects 'accurate knowledge' rather than 'I feel or I think' responses.....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    One must always remember that the burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim. Within science, this translates to the burden resting on presenters of a paper, in which the presenters argue for their specific findings.

I nicked the above quote from a Wiki page. It is true, as Farkel says that the burden of proof rests with the WTS. They are the ones asserting their beliefs and they must present the evidence to support them . I think that the term proof is not really accurate. How can you prove something that cannot be seen, touched or felt? A subject such as climate change demonstrates that the same "evidence" proves different things to different people, each equally convinced.

I read once a book about mankind's search for Truth...it reviewed all the main philosophers. I recall it said that truth can be arrived at by reasoning, logic, or by a simple realisation of the overwhelming ' right or wrongness' of a situation when judged by universal human values. I suppose when men like William Wilberforce saw the human misery of slavery , it was an evident truth that it should be abolished . He needed no other proof.

I felt like that when I looked with opened eyes at the concept of Armageddon . I by then knew worldly people who were decent honest and moral. It was an evident truth that my God in heaven would never slaughter them all (and their children) just because they were not one of J W's.. It suddenly seemed totally clear and obvious, and so then the J W beliefs had to be fundamentally wrong..

I know enough about Scripture and debating to know that one can never prove that to a determined dub . Believe me , I have tried . The family are sure that I have left my senses. But to me and to the rest of the remaining 6 billion or so in the world, the reasoning is clear, that they besmirch Gods name by that belief

So, can I prove that I am not heading for disaster at Armageddon, no - but the overwhelming evidence supports my conclusion and I am still waiting for any convincing evidence from those who propose the belief as truth...

Phew ! that was longer than I expected

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Armagedon has always been just around the corner. When I got baptized some 35 years ago, every world event pointed to Armageddon coming within the year.

I saw many friends who have since passed away, who knew the Paradise was coming in their lifetime.

In the 1920s Brother Rutherford declared that many then would not see death. How little he knew.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Paul, I am very happy that you are here!

And I think what Farkel said needs reiterating:

Where's your "convincing proof" that Jehovah's Witnesses are the one and only true religion? There is no need for anyone to have to prove Jehovah's Witnesses wrong. Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who make the extraordinary claims of sole guidance from God. Therefore, THEY are the ones who need to present the extraordinary evidence of such claims.

Where is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit