Spain: The Ajalvir Bethel News / Infringement claim

by torre 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• torre
    torre

Subject: Infringement Claim
    To Sergi and Octavi Centelles
    Dear Sirs,

On March 30, 2009, we received your letter concerning a photograph that appeared in the January 15, 1994, issue of The Watchtower. You ask for a reply by April 6, 2009.
    We understand that you have already communicated with the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in Spain, and we believe that you will receive a letter from that office very soon.

Please direct any future correspondence about this matter to the office of Jehovah's Witnesses in Spain.

Very truly yours,
    Richard Moake
    Associate General CounselWatch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania
    100 Watchtower Drive
    Patterson, NY 12563

The whole information (in Spanish) in the links below, with pictures and letter from Alberto Lopez (Spanish branch commitee coordinator).

http://testigoscristianosdejehova.blogspot.com/2010/02/la-sociedad-watchtower-y-sus-maestrias.html

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Centelles/reclaman/Testigos/Jehova/60000/euros/elpepucul/20100208elpepicul_5/Tes

http://testigoscristianosdejehova.blogspot.com/2009/02/la-sociedad-watchtower-y-sus-maestrias.html

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The WT stole a picture without giving credit? Why am I not surprised?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

those lazy kids in the graphics department are at it again!

I think that is all this one is....it's not an ethical practice to be sure, but graphics people take these kind of short-cuts all the time. Of course the bethel graphics people should have been told not to do this, but since God's spirit isn't really guiding them or anyone this kind of thing is bound to happen.

peace

The Oracle

• Gayle
    Gayle

How many WT official lawyers are on the immediate staff at the Headquarters now-a-days? Also, are there other WT official lawyers for each branch in the foreign countries? I know there's some in Canada also.

• yknot
    yknot

Toti... dear brother Toti..... you should join us..

Come Toti, come to the 'bright-side'......

They don't love you, they put you in the Servie Dept for losing a case that couldn't be won.....

Why did they punish you..... why not just blame "Satan's System' and give you a pat on the back fighting a good fight.....

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

With all the donations from the jw to support the WTBS lawyers, they would easily escape this problem.

• Peaches1978
    Peaches1978

I wonder how much money do they owe for every single donation that they must of received from around the world for that article back in 1994?

• torre
    torre

More information comes up thanks to JHK who posted in the Spanish board.

PRESS RELEASE
    Agustí Centelles i Ossó Heirs
    Barcelona, 23th March 2010

Issue: Judicial demand for photographic use without permission

Sergi and Octavi centelles i Martí have ordered their lawyers to lodge a complaint before the court against “Jehovah’s witnesses” organisation due to the use without permission, authorisation, authorship omission, picture mutilation and worldwide use of an image made by Agustí Centelles i Ossó.

The religious organisation got a photographic copy without use permission, from the History town Institut of Barcelona city council. During the purchase of the photographic copy, they omit the worldwide circulation not observing the use terms of the delivery note nor handing over complimentary copies to the archive.

The picture was taken during Lleida bombing in November 1937, and it shows a woman crying before de dead body of her husband. This picture was published in “La Atalaya” magazine the 15 February 1994, page 3.

After a year of negotiations trying to avoid a jucial demand by reaching an agreement, and before the “Jehovah’s witnesses” organisation attitude, the Agustí Centelles i Ossó heirs have feel forced to lodge a demand against them, for the use of this picture published in a magazine in more of 116 languages. And, afterwards, it has been re-use in a book in several editions without print-run date.

The object of this demand is the recognition of the author, and fair compensation for moral and material damages as consequence of its use; always with all the due respect to the beliefs of each society group.

This case is the first of several claims for illegal uses of Agustí Centelles i Ossó pictures. Other publishers have simply tried “to steal” the authorship by stating “unknown author”.

Barcelona, 23th March 2010

Sergi and Octavi Centelles i Martí
    Tel. 607 93 85 72

• cantleave
    cantleave

I hope the rights holder, gets the compensation deserved. It great to know that the contribution for the worldwide work are put to such good use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit