Were you ever too embarrssed to offer certain mags or books?

by highdose 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• highdose
    highdose

I recall towards the end looking at the magazines and thinking " i can't offer that! people will think we are nutcases!" hahahaha more fool me!

I used to think, do the GB really think about what would make people in the modern world interested in taking the magazines or are they just producing magazines that they would want to read themselves???

• parakeet
    parakeet

I was embarrassed just to be out in public at all, no matter what mag was current.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I was long gone by the time it came out, but I cannot imagine ANY witness being proud to offer that Awake with the pictures of kids who died from not taking blood transfusions on the cover.

I never ONCE offered the little blue book on Evolution back when I was a pioneer because I thought it was total BS scientifically.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Oh yes - Sometimes I would desperately seek an article in the Awake on a mundane subject just to create a diversion away from the main articles.

• highdose
    highdose

and did you do the classic thing of hiding the most embarrssing magazine inside the one that was less embarrssing??

• cantleave
    cantleave

Oh Yes.

• doublelife
    doublelife

Yes. I never would offer the mags when the cover article was about religion. I just felt it was too offensive. How are you suppose to preach to someone when your putting them on the defense?

It was always embarrassing for me to go door to door. Any of their books or magazines or tracts are embarrassing to carry, much less distribute. I dreaded the day that I would meet someone I knew from school, and of course, that day did come. Fortunately, he was cool about it and never said anything to anyone at school. After that, I stopped going out in service, preferring instead to deal with the consequences of disobeying my parents.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

I always had a problem with going door to door with the magazines.

1st - because it was a lie, that you werent just going to talk about bible scripture, I was there to convert YOU.

2nd - the topics, the way the magazines approached the subjects never made sense to anyone but those who were JW's. People were always interested when I used ONLY the bible to talk about stuff, but they would have such puzzled looks when they would read the paragraphs from the watchtower or awake when it reasoned on something spiritual. Often I felt embarassed that I had to go and look in another magazine to explain the weird and slightly idiotic ideas that i had to preach about.

3rd - That it was actually reasoned that you had to wait till someone situation changed for the WORST, then you'd pounce on them with the watchtower and it was supposed to bring them happiness... I always felt really bad and ashamed for basically coming back again and again, knocking on people's door.. "Oh you lost your job? Oh here's a magazine on the 144,000 that are going to heaven, but you're and you JUST MIGHT be saved later on.... doesnt that make you feel better?"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Any rag that bashed doing something that is humanly normal was embarrassing to try and place. Place an article against fornication or marrying outside the cancer in one of the rags, and I would just as soon place it in the shredder. I also hated placing rags that featured something that was totally useless--all those classes and deals that are out of date (and, for all I know, Jehovah has welshed on anyways).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit