Group vacations that go wrong...

by MMXIV 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Ever go on vacation/holiday with a group of JW's that went wrong?

I went to sunny USA with 7 other JW's in their mid 20's, some of whom were married. Within a few days we went to a bar for the evening where one of the brothers was rudely threatened in front of his wife. Now whilst this brother was 6'4" (1.90m), strong with it and had a few scars, he by his own admission, wouldn't hurt a fly. He did the right thing by walking away and went to the van with most of us. I had to go back and find one of the brothers who was still dancing. Eventually I found him and told him what had happened and he said he'd just finish his beer. So I hung around and we both came out. Now 20mins must have passed in all and when we got to the van the tall brother burst out the back, ran to me, and pushed me with great force to the floor - I landed metres away managing to break my fall although sprained and cut my wrist. He shouted at me a few times until he was pulled away.

Now some might say it was just handbags, which it was, but the fallout was huge. He and his wife spent the journey home blaming me for keeping them waiting when they were upset. I said nothing. I didn't want anything to do with them after that - was close to getting a taxi to the airport as I'm softly spoken, totally non-confrontational and find it deeply disturbing to be physically threatened. I went to bed. The others started having debates and decided it was out of order especially when they realised I couldn't cut up my own food at breakfast.

I had apologised on the night for "keeping them waiting" oh and the next day for withdrawing and not making them feel more wanted. I was then really friendly the rest of the holiday sharing beers and having a laugh really only to keep the peace.

Within a year of the holiday he'd left his wife a month after she'd given birth for another woman. I now don't apologise so freely or take cr4p from anyone.

Anyone else had a "moment" on a group JW holiday when it could all have gone wrong - or actually did?

MMXIV

• nugget
    nugget

I went on holiday with some sisters just before I got married. One of them was having serious issues with her boyfriend which all the others were aware of so they kept going off together to offer consolation and advice leaving me high and dry. When they didn't go off together the boyfriend still dominated the conversation but they used crytic comments and lots of you know whos. How to be alone in the crowd.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, several. Trips to Bethel with friends so clueless they practically had no gas in the tank and naturally I offered money. A camping trip with a bunch of naive people who didn't wear proper footwear for rough terrain and who drank too much beer and were a liability to have around.

It was annoying to be around clowns who were tripping along la, la, la in their new system mentality. I guess I don't like being around irresponsible people. I never did it again.

• highdose
    highdose

i went on vacation with a jw family with 4 young children. A good two hours every morning were taken up with constant smakings and beatings. Breakfast i spent at the dinning table with the sound of the holiday house verberating with the sound of childrens screams.

The evenings were spent in the same manner. Often each corner avaible was taken up with a child standing it in , in disgrace. Again the screams went on for hours.

The children were not nightmares, they were sweet little things. According to a JW standard they have turned out well... devoid of personality, devout and beliving that there is nothing else in life except the cult they were born into.

... i never went on holiday with them again in case you were worrying.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Good grief... I would NEVER go on vacation with other JWs, even when I was 'in'!!!

I've taken a few car trips with belly-dancing buddies - a mutual friend of my husband's - a neighbor or two... No horror stories there...

But - my GAWDDESS!!! Witnesses??!!?? I'd go along only if I HAD MY OWN CAR - and was ALONE IN IT!!!

No sense in hanging out with the crazy people any more than I HAD to... Zid

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

When I was 14 I went on a two day camping trip with a few families from the hall. We had a 3 hour group watchtower study Sunday morning. I vowed never again!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

3 hours of listening to drivel kind of takes the shine off the day - bet those camping chairs weren't too comfy either.

MMXIV

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I had met my wife's friend and her husband at an assembly and they seemed fairly normal. Out of the two I would have bet money that my wife's friend would have been the wet blanket.

Not so.

They came with us on vacation and the husband complained non stop about everything. Just a complete asshole, with a capital A.

My wife and I both wanted to kill him.

Never again. N-E-V-E-R!

• Scott77
    Scott77

Your wife is a mormon not a JW. Correct?

Scott77

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Correct. The other wife is a JW. LDS is very liberal with the bigamy here in Utah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit