How do you cope with boredom at meetings?

by MMXIV 32 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually I would read portions of the Bible ahead of where they were discussing. I have also done the snooze and doze stunt, daydreaming and all. Or, I would look out the windows (yes, my Kingdumb Hells did have those things--they might have done away with them or have certain regions building them without windows) or around the front of the room.

These days, I simply go to the Apostate Congregation (right here on this forum). It usually is far more interesting.

• Open mind
    Open mind

As a bored, JW kid, I'd read the year text or anything else backwards and phonetically one syllable at a time.

e.g. Keep Yourself In God's Love

becomes,

Peek Fless-row Ni S'dog Vul

Develop a consistent system and you can burn hours with it.

As an awakened JW adult trying to reach my still-in JW family, the meetings would fly by. I was paying rapt attention so that I would be ready to effectively interract with my wife or kids after the meeting if they happened to bring something up.

om

• nugget
    nugget

I used to take my son into the second school and look through all the old copies of Russell's studies in the scriptures in the library. Look through the old song book that still had silent night as one of the songs.

We would play eye spy and hangman.

Now I try to avoid going unless I have too it's not the boredom I object to but the fear that some of it may still go in when I've been lulled into a hypnotic state by the song..

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yep doodler. I still have a soft cover bible from my childhood. Every margin is filled. Even the binding is seperated and filled with stuff.

Nancy Drew!! Wasn't long hair a blessing?!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Doodled.

At the end, I doodled on the watchtowers, awakes, whatever I could.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When I was a Kid I doodled..Always brought lots of coloured pens..

Looked out the window..(Yes,Kingdom Halls had windows in the Olden Days..LOL)..

I stopped going to the Kingdom Hall decades ago..

I found that worked the best..No more Kingdom Hall boredom..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• Robert7
    Robert7

Towards the end when I started fading, I'd bring the kids in back to let the play, and I'd play on my Blackberry. Anyone walked in, I quickly slipped it in my pocket, and no one ever noticed.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The same as I have done all my life....I daydream, I find something to think about in a Scripture that has nothing to do with the talk - I find verses that do not support the J W teachings, During a WT study I look for points to post later on Blondie's WT thread. Truth is I do not think anybody much follows all of it. When I was a dub I did the same as now, except that I used to bring my mind to it now and again when I thought that an answer was due from me.

I think I have a high tolerance of non activity without being off my head with boredom

BTW, some of the speakers are so bad you can play "spot the next inaccuracy" game

• nelly136
    nelly136

time myself saying the alphabet backwards and forwards, how fast i could say the greek and hebrew alphabet, turn the crappy illustrations in the back of the bible into another place, play substitute egg bacon beans for words beginning with the same letters until i had a full menu, zone out to somewhere completly out of body, sleep bolt upright, time myself holding my breath until i turned blue, great practise for the swimming i did back then.

learn and time myself reciting all the bibles books back and forwards, look at the weird warped pattern high windows and imagine the pattern into other stuff, one of the assembly halls had weird tiles and depending how you stared at them you could make them cocave or convex.

when none of that worked a good beating with a blunt object and or hand in the toilets could break the monotony and put colour in your cheeks, a good slap in the kisser could give you a nice shade of rouge or you could count the pimply speckles and fingerprints on your legs, and you could time them to see how long they take to fade, or how long the nail marks took to go from blue little blue crescants to gone.i think my best friend at the hall was a timex with a second hand, at least until the digital clunkers came along, they had a build in timer :)

but no matter how hard i kept myself amused my mind would leave my body and vacate the building altogether.

i still have problems with any meetings or droned speeches and i dont think ive ever made it through a works training session in sit position since (if i feel zone out coming cos it kicks in really fast) i have to get up and walk about,or i lapse straight into comatose state and if i go make the mistake of going flip top i go snore mode.

a mega maths tape was nearly my demise, i put it in the car tape player on a roundabout and was gone by the time i'd got to the end of the slip road, if my friend hadnt started screaming we'da been lorry fodder, i cant listen to audio books past the intro. eyes glaze and im outa there.

• doublelife
    doublelife

This is a gross and embarrassing but when I was little I used to pick at my lip. When I got into my teenage years and even though adulthood I would take my time with rubbing in lotion on each one of my culticles. I had the softest hands in the congregation. That kept me busy with the first half of the meeting. During the second half I would try to make it look like I was paying attention but I'd really be half asleep and daydreaming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit