Before you read this: Which is the Fastest Growing Religion in America??

by Terry 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

New Survey: Those With No Religion Fastest-Growing Tradition

March 09, 2009 11:34 AM ET | Dan Gilgoff | Permanent Link | Print

By Dan Gilgoff, God & Country

A major new survey of religion in America reports three huge trends: that "nones"—people claiming no religion—constitute the only "religious" tradition that's growing in all 50 states, that nearly 40 percent of mainline Protestants now also identify themselves as evangelical or born again, and that the nation's massive Roman Catholic population has shifted from the Northeast to the Southwest. According to one survey's investigators, "California now has a higher proportion of Catholics than New England."

Enormous political implications here. Released today, the American Religious Identification Survey—conducted by the Program on Public Values at Trinity College—pays special attention to the growing ranks of American "nones." From the press release:

The percentage of Americans claiming no religion, which jumped from 8.2 in 1990 to 14.2 in 2001, has now increased to 15 percent. Given the estimated growth of the American adult population since the last census from 207 million to 228 million, that reflects an additional 4.7 million "Nones." Northern New England has now taken over from the Pacific Northwest as the least religious section of the country, with Vermont, at 34 percent "Nones," leading all other states by a full 9 points.

"Many people thought our 2001 finding was an anomaly," [Ariela] Keysar said. We now know it wasn't. The 'Nones' are the only group to have grown in every state of the Union."

When this secularizing trend collides with the growing strength of nondenominational evangelical Christianity—and with the fading of more liberal mainline Christianity—we get a demographic explanation for the growing ferocity of the nation's culture wars. Again, from the release:

The percentage of Christians in America, which declined in the 1990s from 86.2 percent to 76.7 percent, has now edged down to 76 percent. Ninety percent of the decline comes from the non-Catholic segment of the Christian population, largely from the mainline denominations, including Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians/Anglicans, and the United Church of Christ. These groups, whose proportion of the American population shrank from 18.7 percent in 1990 to 17.2 percent in 2001, all experienced sharp numerical declines this decade and now constitute just 12.9 percent.

Most of the growth in the Christian population occurred among those who would identify only as "Christian," "Evangelical/Born Again," or "non-denominational Christian." The last of these, associated with the growth of megachurches, has increased from less than 200,000 in 1990 to 2.5 million in 2001 to over 8 million today. These groups grew from 5 percent of the population in 1990 to 8.5 percent in 2001 to 11.8 percent in 2008. Significantly, 38.6 percent of mainline Protestants now also identify themselves as evangelical or born again.

"It looks like the two-party system of American Protestantism—mainline versus evangelical—is collapsing," said Mark Silk, director of the Public Values Program. "A generic form of evangelicalism is emerging as the normative form of non-Catholic Christianity in the United States."

• Terry
    Terry

Remember being a JW and always claiming you were the fastest growing religion?

I remember a Catholic lady telling me a long time ago: "Son, that ain't possible. If you are born into a Catholic family you are automatically Catholic. If your mother is Catholic you are Catholic."

I don't think JW's have ever been the fastest growing UNLESS THEY WERE CHASING A NEW DATE. From 1967 to 1975 I'll bet they grew at a tremendous rate. However---after 1975 only knuckleheads remained inside. (Actually, I was kicked out after fading for 5 years.)

• poppers
    poppers

It doesn't surprise me. I think it's a good thing, but as "none" gets bigger I'll bet those evangelicals will get more vocal and radical.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The Christians will also use this statistic to explain why the world keeps getting worse and worse.

LD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope "no religion" continues growing. This means that people are believing that there is no God, they don't give a damn if there is one, or they hate Him so much that they will not do anything about Him. Which is a good trend--all three groups mean God getting less praise.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I hope "no religion" continues growing.

I suspect it will.

All of this Christian related activity we are seeing in the Republican party, the Tea Baggers, the Texas School Board trying to inject Christian thought into school text books... it's all part of the death throws of organized religion.

Organized Religion in general knows its in trouble and is thrashing and rolling around on the floor as it watches it lose the people... especially the youth.

• Open mind
    Open mind
    However---after 1975 only knuckleheads remained inside.

Who you callin' knucklehead?

That was an uncalled for insult at Harleys.

om

• Quandary
    Quandary

This article was mentioned at the meeting last Sunday by the speaker who stated this was fullfilling Matthew 24:12 "... the love of the greater number will cool off." Then he said 'even amongst Jah's people we see this happening' you don't say???

Q

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking for future reading...

• Terry
    Terry

This article was mentioned at the meeting last Sunday by the speaker who stated this was fullfilling Matthew 24:12 "... the love of the greater number will cool off." Then he said 'even amongst Jah's people we see this happening' you don't say???

I don't think there ever was "love" among Jah's people. It is a condition suffered by groups which gives an appearance of love but which has no practical application.

There is no love in religion. Relgion is about getting things right or wrong. Religion is about Us vs Them.

No wonder people are fleeing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit