I'm truly sorry about "this generation" -- Jesus

by FatFreek 2005 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I now know that I didn't get it right the first time when I said "
    (Matthew 24:34) "Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." For that blunder I must apologize.

What I actually meant to say, thanks to a friendly reminder from my very faithful and discreet slave class, is "Truly I say to YOU that this one generation which overlaps a following generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."

I'm not making any excuses here because I had at my disposal a rich language with which to communicate and the ability to use it. After all, I was a perfect human. I'm just sorry I've caused so much confusion that my faithful and discreet slave class has found it necessary to interpret what I said some 6 times over the course of the last 130 years. As long as I'm truly repentent I feel confident that they won't disfellowship me -- or I should say, I hope they won't.

Jesus

• wobble
    wobble

No they won't DF you, JC, as long as you are truly repentant, they will sideline you some more, and if you ever turn up near a Bethel wearing that beard and those damn Hippie clothes, they will lock all the doors quick, and tell those good old bethel boys to get on with the work of producing more literatrash to sell. "Ignore that guy outside, you do every Memorial night anyway "

Don't apologise too much J.C, if we take your words as they read, they came true O.K, those guys living when you said them saw 70CE and the destruction of Jerusalem.

Love

Wobble

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"And, when the second generation reaches its end, I can now string yet another generation end to end with it and continue this forever.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

There was no confusion at all: First, look at the context: Jesus words in Matthew 24 were in response to three distinct, but connected questions posed at 24:3. I have always (even when I was an elder) personally held the belief that the generation mentioned in 24:34 was the 1st cent response to the 1st question posed in 24:3. I could never see how this could have a future application. After Jesus mentioned the destruction of the then Jewish systems at 24:2, 24:34 was fulfilled in 70 AD and so has no application today in anyone's life. I always have personally held and will continue to hold that understanding.

Jesus used "this" to refer to the generation in the present tense, if he was speaking of a future generation he would have used "there will be a generation that will not pass away" similar to other wording that pointed forward to great wars, upheaval, etc. Given that Jesus was a perfect man and understood our foibles, he would have been clear on helping his apostles to understand what he was saying. The prophecies when read with present and future tense make for easy reading.

The utilization of the “generation” by the WTBS was simply a mechanism to create two distinct classes, establish a hierarchy and then a controlling mechanism over rank and file. Jesus got it right, they got it wrong.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jesus: What I meant to say was that I agree with P.T.Barnum: There's a sucker born every minute.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Great thread!

Indeed, they disfellowshipped Jesus a long time ago "Ignore that guy outside".

Unfortunately the WT are confused and will continue to confuse all those who listen to them and not the teaching of Jesus.

1 John 2:27 (New International Version)

27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Jeremiah 31:34 (New International Version)

34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
    or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
    because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest,"
    declares the LORD.
    "For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more."

Hebrews 8:11 (New International Version)

11 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
    or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
    because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

But Stephen, you Trinitarians fabricated an entirely new legend about this good Jew. You guys disfellowshipped him 1800 years ago, turned him into a monster and, as is the want of religious fanatics, went on a killing spree that lasted centuries. Not very 'Christ like'.

Shalom aleichem

'Do a little good each day'

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The picture should be on T-Shirts. Priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit