Let's play the Numbers Game!

by sd-7 3 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

*** w6010/1p.579NumbersAreNotEnough***

NUMBERS are not a sound basis on which to build faith. If Christianity had been founded on numbers, it would have failed. At Christianity’s darkest hour, namely, when Jesus was on the torture stake, there was not one of his apostles that stood by him. Yet Christianity triumphed, not because of its numbers, rather because it is of God.

Large numbers tend to create a false sense of security.

*** w6010/1p.580NumbersAreNotEnough***

Today, religious organizations have a habit of pointing to their great numbers and wealth as proof of their being favored by God.

*** w092/15pp.26-27par.10They“KeepFollowingtheLamb”***

Shortly before he ascended to heaven, the resurrected Jesus appeared to his faithful disciples and made a promise to them, saying: “Look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 28:20) Has this promise proved reliable? In the last 15 years, the number of congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide has grown from some 70,000 to over 100,000—an increase of over 40 percent. And what about the new disciples added? Nearly 4.5 million disciples were baptized in the last 15 years—an average of more than 800 a day. These spectacular increases are clear evidence that Christ is directing his anointed followers at their congregation meetings and is supporting them in their disciple-making work.

*** w092/15p.26par.9They“KeepFollowingtheLamb”***

Moreover, Jesus Christ has appointed the faithful and discreet slave “over all his belongings”—all Kingdom interests on earth. (Matt. 24:47) Included among these belongings are the facilities at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, at branch offices in various lands, and at Assembly Halls and Kingdom Halls worldwide. Included too is the work of Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making. Would anyone assign someone he did not trust to keep and use his valuable things?

The only reason I can think of for this obvious dual-identity behavior is that back in 1960, this religion didn't have the numbers that the bigger churches had, so they had to point that out. But if you acknowledge that numbers aren't enough, how can you allow yourself to point to them amongst your own people as proof of God's backing? It just strikes me as odd.

These are the "little things" that my mom tells me 'apostates' keep picking at. Is it a little thing? Well, what do you think? If you tell the public one thing and tell your people the exact opposite, isn't that being less than honest? I'm sure that this 2009 article isn't the only or the first time the numbers were pointed to as proof of God's backing. Just a thought. Figured I'd share it.

--sd-7

• snowbird
    snowbird

They're making it up as they go along!

Pitiful.

Sylvia

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

For every ten baptisms they perform the number of JWs goes up one or two because eight or nine leave at the same time. Check it out. Its the actual case. More leave all the time.

• Heaven
    Heaven

NUMBERS are not a sound basis on which to build faith.

Huh? Then why does the WTS need them?! The WTS is ALL about the numbers. How many hours did you do in FS this month? How many meetings did you attend? How much money are you willing to pledge (write that number down for us!) And the Yearbook... every year publishes ... numbers!

These people are wacked!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit