Audio Dramas

by Growingup 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Growingup
    Growingup

Has anyone ever listened to the audio dramas that the WTS put out? When I was younger than I am now I used to listen to them... My parents didn't let me listen to much in the way of music however I did have these audio dramas based on 'bible stories' because they were 'worthy'. Anyhow, today for some reason I heard something that reminded me about these dramas on cassette tape, and wanted to see if I could find these recordings online and I gleefuly found these recordings on the watchtower's website.

I downloaded the latest one made, and it's in fact the last one I remember. I remember vividly the white cassette tape with the red bold font... and that plastic case they would come in. I would play them over and over again when I could get them, I'd play them when I drifted off to sleep. Often times I would order various dramas from the cute literature counter tender... every Thursday I'd ask him if they came in yet when I had been waiting for it. When it would arrive I would always put in the $10 into the contribution box like how I was taught to put in by a local elder. The thoughts rushs back memories when they sent the magazines by mail - when I was so excited when I would get the Awake! magazines in those white rectangular packages with my father's name and address printed on them with a early dot-matrix printer. I would be so careful not to tear the magazines even through I would be excited when opening them... when I did rip them my father would spank me. I must admit the concept is so strange and so far away to me now.

So anyhow, as I said I download and played these recordings from my not too distant youth, and it makes me feel sick. In retrospect I believe these recordings were designed to indoctrinate youths very early. The one I downloaded, 'Respect Jehovah's authortiy' if rife with propaganda and it tries to instill anti-dissent mesures early on. It tries to send the message anyone who does not agree with God's plan and the people who he chooses to lead God's people will be destroyed. For many years this message and others like it taught me if I didn't agree with God/FDS I would be sucked into the earth... perhaps not right now, but eventually... soon.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of crazy doctrine manipulation via audio (perhaps even video?) through children? I see alot of talk about magizines and the books - ect... but this was a werid niche where I was defiantly controlled. It struck destructive fear into me. Anyone else feel this way ? If so, how did it effect you?

-Growin'

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have listened to them, usually while out in field circus. They would play those tapes (where is the tape eating when you really need it?). Invariably, it is application of a Bible story, twisting it to make it fit what will happen to people now if they do not obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. You do too little, you break one of the rules, you are not satisfied with things as they are, you die.

• cantleave
    cantleave

God I remember the the one where Pharoah bellowed "Who is this Jehovah- that I should let his people go" from the early 80's. My mum loved it and played it all the time. I just wanted to listen to Supertramp.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit