Two Babylons...

by on the rocks 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

Didn't Hislop also originate the "torture stake" idea (instead of conventional T cross) on the basis that the conventional cross was babylonish?

Also, do I recall correctly that he was very much an anti-trinitarian; claiming that the T cross somehow represented the trinity which also came from ancient Babylon?

• JWoods
    JWoods

BTW, I remember that some of the circuit overseers and special pioneers used to use this book as late as the late 1960s - has it ever been officially denounced by the WTBTS?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As I recall, Hislop did not originate the "torture stake" idea per se but he did expound on how the cross symbol is pagan.

Those are two separate matters that the Society confuses thoroughly whenever it talks about the cross. The crosscultural use of a very, very basic geometrical shape (two intersecting lines) in art and religion is a very different matter than whether the ancient Romans practiced capital punishment by using an execution apparatus containing a crosspiece (yes, the Romans even had a word for it, patibulum).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I purchased the book from my kingdom hall in the 1980s.

• undercover
    undercover

Marking this thread...

Good stuff...

• undercover
  • JWoods
    JWoods
    I purchased the book from my kingdom hall in the 1980s.

Did the WTBTS actually publish it, like they did the Benjamin Wilson interlinear, or did they just resell it for some other publisher?

I suppose it has been dropped from the list now, from a post above.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yep, that's the load of nonsense.

JWoods....They just distributed it. It was the same edition pictured at the website undercover cited.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I have a funny story about "the two babylons".

The special pioneer in Clinton, Okla. where I went to serve where the need was great had this book. He was a big Hislop fan, and had it out to prove things about trinity to some bible study (who was in fact barely literate and could not understand anything about it).

Her cat jumped up and vomited right into the middle of the open Two Babylons that he had laid on the coffee table during the study.

• yknot
    yknot

Here is another link to the book...

http://www.eaec.org/bookstore/The%20Two%20Babylons%20-%20Alexander%20Hislop.pdf

and on archive.org of course....

http://www.archive.org/details/twobabylonsorpa00hislgoog

Interestingly the last mentions of Hislop or the book on the CD are as follows

Books: 1989 Reasoning

KM: 1987, Nov notes the book is 'out of stock'

Awakes 1986, March 22

WT- 1978, Dec 15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit