Too Many In The Car

by Broken Promises 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

For a period of time when I was a JW, I lived with a family of JWs. They had 2 young children under 12. The family were good friends with another JW family who had 3 children under 12.

So we’re talking about 5 kids under 12, this will be important later.

Anyway, I came home one day from work to find the two mums and their kids at our place. Apparently the two dads (both MS’s) had gone off to play tennis or something while the mums and kids stayed behind at our place to talk and play.

The kids of the 2 nd family wanted to go home, but as the 2 dads had taken both their cars, they were all stuck at our place.

Now their house was within walking distance, albeit a long walk. The sun hadn’t set yet, so they had time to get home before it got dark, if they’d wanted to.

I was on my way out again so they asked if I would take the kids of both families to the 2 nd family’s home. I can’t remember what the mum was going to do, so I won’t speculate.

So there were 5 kids to fit into my car (and possibly the mother) while my car only had 4 spare seatbelts. Now, seatbelts are compulsory in my country, so it would have meant one kid not legally having a seatbelt.

For me, that had several ramifications. Firstly, it’s illegal for a child to ride unrestrained, so I would have been doing something against the law (keep in mind I was a conscientious JW, though I still think this is an important law to follow). One child could have sat in the front seat restrained, but try squeezing 4 kids into a backseat and I doubt that any of them would have kept their seatbelts on, let alone wear them properly. So if I’d been pulled over by a cop, I’d be fined $100 per unrestrained child.

Secondly, and to me more importantly, was the safety of driving with unrestrained kids. What if we were in an accident? Imagine the scene if something like that happened! I loved these kids and there was no way I would have been able to live with myself if anything had happened to them while in my care.

With these points in mind, I said no to the mums. They looked at me in disbelief(!) I was always the young, naïve, happy-to-please JW sister yet here I was daring to say no to 2 MS’ wives??? I explained that I was happy to take the kids in 2 trips, as in 3 at one time and 2 at the second time, but they said no.

So I had to say sorry, but because of the seatbelt issue I’m not taking the kids in one go and if you don’t want that, I can’t help you.

Anyway, living in a country where seatbelt laws are compulsory (Australia) I just thought it was so strange for two JW mums were prepared to put their kids’ safety at risk just for the sake of convenience. And they wanted to put someone else in the firing line should anything had happened. I also got the impression they had the expectation that I would jump at their command to do anything for them, even if it was illegal and dangerous.

• nelly136
    nelly136

nothing wrong with saying no, as the legal owner of the vehicle you are ultimately responsible for your passengers safety.

if they dont like it tough.

• freddo
    freddo

I think it's a generation thing too.

As a kid I used to sit with a friend on a cushion in the very back of Dad's estate car (station-wagon) with no seatbelts while the grown ups sat in the 5 seats. No seatbelts in the rear but two in the front. We would travel on holiday or to assemblies like this - it was the norm.

Then when seatbelts and insurance limitations got stricter we might risk it for short journeys. Now I won't drive without a seatbelt done up and I won't carry anyone in the very back (if I had an estate car). It's legality and liability as well as safety that bother me.

I personally don't see a huge risk (in chances of a bad enough accident terms happening on that rare unbuckled journey) in riding unrestrained but it's a good habit to get into.

But it can get ridiculous - I had a car where we went to pick someone up and the seatbelt clip broke as one of my kids tried to buckle up. So I have a choice - make them walk with me or my wife for five miles home or take the chance. I took the chance and would again. But got the belt fixed immediately and only used the 4 working ones until it was repaired. My current car is 5 years old and has airbags too - the side impact ones are not a legal requirement and if one packed in I wouldn't worry about replacing it.

In the OP's situation with other peoples kids I would stand my ground or offer two journey's if it was a short hop like you did. No one - especially the car owner - should be forced to go against their personal wishes on health and safety.

• nelly136
    nelly136

yup freddo in the old days it was fun, cars didnt go so fast and roads werent as crowded, people would sit on laps and squeezing as many kids in the boot end as contortions would allow was definately the norm. seat belts hadnt even been thought of back then.

• alanv
    alanv

You were totally right in what you said. These women should know what the bible says about obeying the law. It certainly does not surprise me though. Many JWs don't care about the law. My JW son never keeps to the speed limit.

Apart from that I'm sure in Australia they would have thrown the book at you if you had got caught.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

You did no wrong. You did right. For any JW to expect you to break the law - especially one which involves the safety of children should fall into the territory of council from the elders (not obeying supperior authorities, holding life sacred, stumbling others - etc).

Someone I knew was convicted (wrongly) of driving without due care and attention (they were in a crash with a very old lady who survived - but only just) and despite a jury twice not reaching a decision the elders took him off as a MS and put him under restrictions. Did he cause the accident? no - he actually took evasive action - but the elders acted as it had been notorius. I wonder who the elders would have pointed the finger at if you'd been in an accident and one of the children were hurt.

I think the generation thing is a factor. My dad often skimps on safety because "that's what they used to do in his day".

In my own experience I've found many JW's cherry pick what legal rules they follow or not - more often to do with how others in the cong will view them rather than what Jah would think or indeed what is actually legal/right!

MMXIV

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Broken Promises,

You were absolutely right for refusing to transport children in an unsafe manner.

As the driver you are responsible for the safety of your passengers. If they were to have been injured, you could have been criminally prosecuted and paraded on the news as a horrible irresponsible child killer.

On another note, having the children walk home was also an excellent idea. Nothing wrong with parents taken their kids out for a good walk and get some fresh air and good exercise. Such a walk would have been good for the health of everyone who went along.

Hell, even though I have a car, I will sometimes walk about a mile to some nearby stores or the post office. It feels good and is good for health.

• Gregor
    Gregor

MMXIV = 2014 ?

1914 = MCMXIV

• nelly136
    nelly136

there is a small clause that if you use a taxi or it is an unexpected short trip then not all chidren have to be belted (uk)

but i'm not sure that would help you much if you were in an accident and someone got hurt or killed, even if it wasnt your driving caused it.

• undercover
    undercover

It's amazing that any of us lived to adulthood considering that we never had child safety seats, seatbelts or airbags...

I remember as a kid riding in the front seat, facing forwards even, no seat belt.

I remember riding in the open bed of my dad and uncle's pick-up trucks.

I remember when we crammed 4 adults and 5 kids in a VW Beetle...I'm not sure now how we managed it but I remember it was hot and crowded in there.

I remember riding up on the rear deck behind the driver on a Corvette when I was about 10.

I guess it is good to follow the rules to ensure, as best you can, the safety of children. But I see all these rules and recommendations and I see that kids now won't get to experience riding in a car the way we did. No riding up front with dad when it was just you and him... No hanging your head near or out the window on a hot summer day...No climbing over the backseat into the cargo area in the family station wagon... No sibling rivalry over he/she's on my half of the seat...

I have a lot of memories of riding in the car on family trips and riding with my dad on his 'errands' that my mom never knew about. Going to the liquor store, going to the gun and knife show, stopping for beer and ice cream... beer for him, ice cream for me.

Oh well...the world changes... kids have DVD players in the mini-van now...they probably won't ever miss staring out the window at the scenery or miss getting to ride up front with dad...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit