Toyota Stuck Accelerator

by PEC 24 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

We have a 2007 Prius, to shift into neutral you move the lever to the left, from there up reverse and down is drive. I think 99.9% of these problems are operator error. I am not worried, 9 million cars with many 100 of billions of miles and only 39 deaths. Don't 30,000+ die in auto accidents in the US each year? I am not a math wizard; but, I would bet that I have a better chance of winning the lottery, than dying from a Toyota accelerating out of control. This is a good time, to get a great deal, on a Toyota.

Philip

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A stuck throttle is simple to deal with. If you turn the car off or put it in neutral (or into a lower gear), it will not accelerate. Putting it in neutral or a lower gear might ruin the engine if it is racing, but that is better than wrecking the whole car and possibly someone else's as well. If it is a software issue and you cannot turn the car off, at least downshifting (most of them have a "2" position) will limit how fast you can go. Most cars will not go much more than 55 in the "2" position, effectively limiting how much damage the problem can do.

However, this is but a symptom of a much larger problem. Toyota used to use good components. If you use good components, you get good cars. But, they have started using crap components to save money. If you use crap components, you get crap cars. And, in the future, you are going to start having issues with cars falling apart after 2 or 3 years. To me, what I do not know is more scary than what I do know.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Toyota has engineered their transmissions to disallow shifting into neutral at any other engine setting besides idling. They are electronically controlled. Do you really think people in these runaway cars hadn't thought to try that?

• hotspur
    hotspur

I've heard Toyota are fitting three new buttons on the dashboard ----

------- Ctrl-Alt-Del

• John Doe
    John Doe

I wondered what Bill Gates had been doing lately. Gives blue screen of death a whole new meaning, huh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit