" Are you Good Without God ? " Billboards Saying this Attacked in California

by flipper 28 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

A couple weeks ago in the news in the Sacramento, California area several billboards advertising atheism were spray painted and ripped apart with graffiti scribbled on the advertising. Things like " Jesus died for you ! " and other threatening slogans were written on these billboards . No doubt someone who thought of themselves as a Christian perhaps ? I guess some people can't be good when they HAVE God . Or at least respect the fact that some can live a good life without a belief in God.

Personally, I don't know if there is a God or not. I feel I don't NEED to know. It bothers me not one bit. I don't need to feel like I need to earn a reward of life in heaven or on earth for being good to others or helping people . Seeing people benefit is reward enough in itself.

Since exiting the witnesses over 6 years ago I can honestly say I have been treated with more unconditional caring and love by people who don't even believe in a God, or don't know if God exists. That being said- I've met some nice people who consider themselves " Christians " as well , however I've noticed at times there seems to be a catch , or hook to merit their friendship. Like being invited to attend their church because they have all the answers to the universe.

Look- I don't have all the answers to the universe. But I do know I can be " good without God " - in fact I'm more open minded since exiting a mind control religious cult. I feel religion narrows ones views to close minds which would otherwise be open to much needed information which is valuable.

So how do you folks feel. Do you think people can be " good without God " ? Or are their some people who need something to latch onto to KEEP them good ? As always I look forward to your takes and views. Peace out to all Christians, atheists, and agnostics. Mr. Flipper

• zoiks
    zoiks

Yes, I think that people can be good without God. In fact, one of the things that I'm trying to build in myself, that the WTS tries to kill, is faith in humanity. No, we're not perfect. Yes, people do terrible things to one another. But I have also seen the good, caring, wonderful side of humanity as reflected in so many people that I've encountered- some who believe in God, others who don't.

• flipper
    flipper

ZOIKS- Good points you make. I agree. The WT society drilled it into us that we are SO SINFUL and imperfect that we only got Jehovah's " undeserved kindness" . So we were in a mind control cult which told us we are inherently evil or bad. Nothing is further from the truth. There are lots of good, caring people on this board, and lots of good caring people in this world . The WT society DOES try to kill faith in humanity to keep their members controlled through fear of reaching out to non-witnesses. Then they pour the guilt on by telling us we are sinful ! Like yourself I have seen the good in humanity as well. Sure, there is evil, but not EVERYBODY like the witnesses teach

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It would be nice if everyone accepted and protected the 1st Amendment.

I'm free to be "good" without "god".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is not only a violation of Freedom of Speech, it is also a violation of property rights.

• awildflower
    awildflower

You know they say Denmark is one of the best places to live because of the peace people feel, the simple life that they lead, the love and kindness shown to neighbors, the very, very low crime rate to the point where they can leave their kids outside without worrying! And most of the population is....................atheist! I'm just sayin' Anyone here from Denmark to give a first hand comment about that? I only saw this info on tv but would love to know.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I might also add that it's not that they don't have a 'spritituality', because we ALL have that underneath all this conditioning. They just don't believe in A "God" and they are perfectly happy and content!

• zoiks
    zoiks

awildflower - I had heard stories to that effect as well. I'd also like to hear from anyone with any experience there...

• awildflower
    awildflower

When you take 'religion' or even 'belief systems' away, it takes the 'us against them' away and leads to peace. I want to meet someone on here from Denmark so I can take a sabbatical over there to see for myself!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Actually, I feel as though I am better without god. When I was a believer, I wasn't truly focused on what I thought was good, I was focused on what they told me god wanted. Now I have to live up to my own standards, there is no escaping or faking. Yes, I am good without god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit