Do you do any volunteer work? If so, what?

by Quirky1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

i have an unpaid position on the board
    of the local chapter of an advocacy group
    working for civil rights

i spent 3 years as a moderator on a board
    for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse...
    this year it finally got to be too much

• dissed
    dissed

Chicpea -

I think I understand what you mean. I was asked to work with a missing children's foundation.

The stories were terrible, many of the board memebers had experienced losing loved ones. There were few happy endings. I declined the offer. I didn't feel I could handle it, nor my family.

• nugget
    nugget

I do voluntary work at schools, initially it was to help my children and to make sure I was readily available to teachers if they had questions. Later I did it because it was great fun and I love working in the school.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I do a few hours a week at a volunteer centre helping people find paid/voluntary. When I finish studying I want to get into something political/civil rights.

Voluntary work is fun - we do quite a lot of socializing

• not sure yet
    not sure yet

My husband and I host a surgical program, originated from the Stanford University, its called Interplast, that has operated on more that 3000 poor children where we live...it's mostly burnwounds and cleftlips etc., The team stays for twee weeks a time and my husband takes on the post operative care and check-ups. We campaign for months to gather the patients from the most remote areas of the countryside. Also we operate a mobile surgical unit and travel to remote villages to operate free of any costs, on people that are too poor to come to town, those operations are in my husbands branch of surgery. We do that once or twice a month.

My children from when they were small helped us with those programs and were very much involved. My daughter who studies medicine in my homecountry, is herself part of that program and travels abroad. They always admired those people who donate their time (and money) to help others. I even got the congregation involved, some would prepare a meal for the doctors or help organize clinic the first day, or translate for the doctors.

• not sure yet
    not sure yet

Oh, I forgot to tell we do this for over 25 years now.

• blondie
    blondie

Facilitator in a United Way support group, 3 evenings weekly

Work with international group on sexual abuse in religious settings

Work with my union on various issues

I have tutored in a United Way support group re ESL

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I volunteer to do photography for different charities - saves them money and I get to do something I enjoy. I also help out at a local disabled children's unit - assist in building projects.

MMXIV

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The company I work for participates in charity events in which employees help. As an example, we'll do some landscaping in the down town area or help work on the facilities at a retirement home.

When I look at the time and resources that are put into these programs and what is accomplished, it is embarrassing. The whole thing is nothing more than a Dog and Pony Show so the company can get a feather in it's hat and a nice fat tax write-off.

Sadly, I only participate so I can have something to show off during my annual performance review.

These charitable events are not for the benefit of those in need. The events are for the benefit of the company and employees.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Volunteerism at its best!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit